Like Tree1Likes

Living downunder

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Living downunder

This question is mainly for Aussie expats here.
    After living/working in US and HK , I want to explore a new place like Australia.
    Great weather,outdoor lifestyle and good education are the things I like.
    However I am totally confused about their Visa process and job hunting. I know the taxes are really high but so would be the wages I think.

Can someone share their insights about living downunder?

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by rt512:
    This question is mainly for Aussie expats here.
    After living/working in US and HK , I want to explore a new place like Australia.
    Great weather,outdoor lifestyle and good education are the things I like.
    However I am totally confused about their Visa process and job hunting. I know the taxes are really high but so would be the wages I think.

Can someone share their insights about living downunder?

Thnx
    What nationality are you? Or rather, how do you think? Australia appeals to a certain type of person and not others - I have known people who love it there and others who hate it, and personality (and where in Aus they moved to) made a big difference.

In Aus, poor people are rich (compared to most places in the world) and rich people are poor (similarly compared). In other words, the gap between the two is (on the whole) MUCH smaller. There is pretty much zero deference from poor to rich (so between low-level jobs to the boss) - which is great in a social sense - but it also means your waiters/waitresses can easily be rude and your checkout chick won't take any stick. It also means the shop assistance may actually know something about the product and be happy to have a decent chat with you about pros-cons rather than just say "yes" to every question.....If you like this (I do!) you'll love it there. But if you are used to docile Asian service styles, forget it!

In terms of jobs, Aus is currently hitting a downturn - first in a LONG while. GFC didn't really affect them but China's slowdown has. But having said that, compared to Europe there are still lots of jobs and good salaries.

And very high tax (more than 50% taking all the factors together); high cost of living (property is expensive and food no longer as cheap as it was). Great weather (in most places!); great outdoor lifestyle; relaxed social scene.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What nationality are you? Or rather, how do you think? Australia appeals to a certain type of person and not others - I have known people who love it there and others who hate it, and personality (and where in Aus they moved to) made a big difference.

In Aus, poor people are rich (compared to most places in the world) and rich people are poor (similarly compared). In other words, the gap between the two is (on the whole) MUCH smaller. There is pretty much zero deference from poor to rich (so between low-level jobs to the boss) - which is great in a social sense - but it also means your waiters/waitresses can easily be rude and your checkout chick won't take any stick. It also means the shop assistance may actually know something about the product and be happy to have a decent chat with you about pros-cons rather than just say "yes" to every question.....If you like this (I do!) you'll love it there. But if you are used to docile Asian service styles, forget it!

In terms of jobs, Aus is currently hitting a downturn - first in a LONG while. GFC didn't really affect them but China's slowdown has. But having said that, compared to Europe there are still lots of jobs and good salaries.

And very high tax (more than 50% taking all the factors together); high cost of living (property is expensive and food no longer as cheap as it was). Great weather (in most places!); great outdoor lifestyle; relaxed social scene.
    Or another way of putting it, you Aussies take pride in your "Tall Poppy Syndrome" . Isn't criticizing and cutting down other people with genuine talents that elevate them above the rest a national trait in Australia? I think "envy of other people's success" is a better term, and not something positive in my opinion. I wouldn't call that something to be proud of, hehehe...

(Kidding, I love Aussies and Australia, although some of their traits I don't find particularly great, that's all I'm saying...)
    Last edited by Watercooler; 17-01-2014 at 02:38 PM.

finding the right visa should be a cinch here: http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/Live.aspx

i don't find cost of living to be that different to HK if you are comparing like for like (eg high income tax/GST in oz VS stealth property tax in rent/owning in HK) and yes salaries are much higher in most cases.

rt512 likes this.

I am Indian & don't mind the non-docile Aussie attitude.Although Tax is a big issue given that rentals in Sydney (or Melbourne) are not cheap.. Any idea on salaries there? If they are more or less compared to HK in Financial services/investment banking?

Thanks jw1701 on the Visa link. Comparing cost on Numbeo:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...g&city2=Sydney

The rentals for 3 bedroom appt in Sydney is 32% less than HK.

I can't say I ever saw much racism in Australia but then I didn't live in inner city slums which is where most of the problem area are. Most Australians are willing to give anyone a fair go but they don't take kindly to be told how to think, nor to "politically correct" crap. Which is different from being racist.

Hmm ... I knew that was coming. Learnt a new term however - "water-cooler" racism !

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I can't say I ever saw much racism in Australia but then I didn't live in inner city slums which is where most of the problem area are. Most Australians are willing to give anyone a fair go but they don't take kindly to be told how to think, nor to "politically correct" crap. Which is different from being racist.
    Umm....I don't think any nationality would take kindly to being told how to think, there is nothing particularly "Australian" about that sentiment...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast