Like Tree67Likes

Taking foreign spouse to UK

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Have not found one Brit yet who knows the answer. Insane to expect foreigners to know it. There is a book you are supposed to memorise, George II doesn't even a merit in the index and only a couple of lines in the book itself. This test is just a money earner as far as I can see.

Printed off the form to extend the spouse visa, 71 fucking pages (NOT including the guidance notes). Plus a grand thanks.
    Actually this sounds like a pretty valid test for life in Britain. All Brits know that our exams are designed to catch you out and you'll be tested on the most minute random piece of information that may never have even been mentioned in any course/class.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I took the Life in the UK Test, as did my husband, and we both passed on the first try. There's a study app online, I just used it for 3-4 weeks on my commute to work every day before the test.

But I echo all of the concerns about bringing spouses over. We are Americans in the UK, we were planning to stay here before the transfer to HK. My husband became British but I did not want to, happy with the indefinite leave to remain visa. But we are going to HK for 3-4 years, UKBA says if I live outside of the UK for 2 years my visa will lapse and I will be thrown into the spouse visa process. By then who knows if a UKIP/Tory coalition just bans foreigners completely. So I am naturalizing as British, solely to ensure that I can return to this country in future where the home I own is!

shri likes this.

We had a hellish time when we went through it. We saw the changes coming and applied for ILE while the 4-years-married-outside-the-UK rule was still in force, rather than going for a normal spouse visa to be converted to ILR, so that we could get my wife permanent residency before the rules became truly insane. We were hugely worried and stressed out for a very long time, though. Luckily, my wife passed the Life in the UK test on her first try, while we were on a two-week summer break in the UK. If we hadn't got ILE before the new rules, I couldn't have imagined how I (being Hong Kong-based) would have been able to prove a salary of GBP16k per year (plus I can't remember how much more for each dependant child).

Since the rules came into force there has since been a clarification to the effect that if you are returning to the UK and haven't got a job, you need to show that you have a job offer at the appropriate salary level. This doesn't completely solve matters, though, and we had to face the possibility that we might never be able to live in the UK. I was born and raised in the UK and all my friends and family are there. My wife and I are both qualified professionals and we're not exactly short of cash, but at every turn the language we encountered from UK Government agencies was hostile and unhelpful and made us question why we were even bothering to try. Were it not for those friends and family, we seriously might have just jacked the whole thing in.

The whole thing, from start to finish, really did make us feel unwelcome in the UK and my wife still dreads going through Heathrow because of the grilling she gets and the (admittedly somewhat unreasonable) fear that an official is going to find something wrong with her paperwork and send her back to Hong Kong.

I remember when they were discussing the salary level that a sponsor should have. They commissioned an expert panel to investigate the matter and report. Eventually, that panel recommended a level slightly about what you'd get on minimum wage. The release of their recommendations, however, coincided with a new political push to 'control' immigration and a separate committee suggested that by setting the minimum threshold higher (at 16k), they could achieve a bigger reduction in immigration. So in the case of that chap in the BBC report it's not entirely honest of people in officialdom to say that the policy under which he was to be removed had been put in place to ensure that immigrants did not become a burden on the state.

Last edited by M Khan; 19-01-2015 at 12:34 PM.

The minimum salary also takes no account of where you live in the UK, so in some cases people who are moving back are expected to earn more than the average salary for that area. The whole thing is summed up by the fact that the Border Agency states their mission is "reducing immigration". Political and media pressure to reduce it but of course they can do nothing about the majority of immigration so instead focus on the easy targets - students and people returning with overseas families. The fact that this (i) damages the UK economy and/or (ii) is against the right to a family life makes no difference.

M Khan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    As we are going the other way perhaps we could change places
    wtbhotia likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    As we are going the other way perhaps we could change places
    You're coming back to Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You're coming back to Asia?
    He's going to retire in da Philippines. He wants to feel alive and deal with the local corruption / red tape / bureaucracy, he also wants to fight the Typhoons so that they keep him on his toes LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    He's going to retire in da Philippines. He wants to feel alive and deal with the local corruption / red tape / bureaucracy, he also wants to fight the Typhoons so that they keep him on his toes LOL
    Yeah plus Hull is doing shit in the premier league so back in the PH he will be able to watch some serious Rooster fight.
    ray98 and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    5 bedroom detached house (one for the maid) with 3 bathrooms and use of shared swimming pool for HKD 500K! Will do until we build our planned mansion on the large (20,000 sq ft) plot of land we own. Will be thinking of you in your HK flats
    shri, TheBrit, ray98 and 4 others like this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast