Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Hiking, hiking, hiking, hiking, hiking aaaaaand hiking. The go-to solution on these boards for so many problems. Don't like HK? Try hiking. What a load of BS.

Walking around HK countryparks is not everyone's cup of tea.
    And I never said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    How old are you people again?

Cho, you said the reasons for the OP to move are inaccurate... are you saying that the pollution is worse or just as bad in Singapore than here in HK? I agree Singapore has pollution, but surely it can't be as bad as HK.

Also, property is expensive in Singapore, but surely not as high as Hong Kong...

I don't get how the OP is inaccurate.
    You should ask HowardCoombs that question, not me.

I never said there was no pollution in Singapore. That was never my point. As for housing prices, yes, marginally cheaper than HK, but my point is the OP is splitting hair if she thinks she save a bundle with housing by moving to Singapore. Because if you add in the higher cost-of-living and other misc. expenses, the bill you end up with may not really be cheaper than in HK. So moving to Singapore for cheaper housing doesn't make much sense to me. You can't really save much, if you want a comparable standard-of-living.

What I was saying was that OP should just say she likes Singapore's living environment, and screw all the other reasons. That would be fair enough to me.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 13-02-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    I don't know how you guys know who is who and who leaves and comes back with new screen name.
    They don't change posting styles and don't leave grudges behind

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Hiking, hiking, hiking, hiking, hiking aaaaaand hiking. The go-to solution on these boards for so many problems. Don't like HK? Try hiking. What a load of BS.

Walking around HK countryparks is not everyone's cup of tea.
    Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    They don't change posting styles and don't leave grudges behind
    Actually I thought Cho-man's style changed considerably although may be slowly reverting. I had his previous name on block, this one I even agree with from time to time.....
    Cho-man likes this.

Take a hike! (oh how i miss long trail ale)

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Actually I thought Cho-man's style changed considerably although may be slowly reverting. I had his previous name on block, this one I even agree with from time to time.....
    I was engaging in a serious discussion here, say what you will about my other topics, but as someone who has actually lived in Singapore, I do know what I am talking about here. But then the usual suspects turned up, it seems they don't want to let my "old-self" go and hold onto old grudges. But I ...forgive them. I am trying to turn over a new leaf, and they should too.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 13-02-2015 at 11:05 AM.

First of all, You wont get PR that easily in Singapore nowadays and is not 2 years, is 5 years (Case by case).
    Even if you manage to get it, your husband, son or whoever male does not require to serve National Service because you guys are label as 2nd or 3rd generation citizen. (cant remember it well).
    Singapore and Hong Kong, both with good and bad points but just to remind you that every year, Singapore would be polluted by haze from Indonesia. (as ususal but better than hk).
    And your husband would need to hit certain amount of salary in order to get the work visa.
    And as a foreigner, everything would be more expensive such as schools, government hospital and lots more.
    Cost of living is higher than in HK and property is expensive but bigger compared with Hk.

22 years in Singapore and i must say i like there.... There is always a but............

Quote Originally Posted by alfread:

Singapore and Hong Kong, both with good and bad points but just to remind you that every year, Singapore would be polluted by haze from Indonesia. (as ususal but better than hk).
    And as a foreigner, everything would be more expensive such as schools, government hospital and lots more.
    Cost of living is higher than in HK and property is expensive but bigger compared with Hk.

22 years in Singapore and i must say i like there.... There is always a but............
    Thank you, you just confirmed what I've been saying in this thread all along about Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Have you tried it?
    Yes, been walking about all over Hong Kong. It’s all right, but certainly wouldn't be a motivating factor for staying in Hong Kong. I enjoy the outdoors in Canada/US a lot more – better air, more solitude, no crowds blasting their radios and littering. Each to their own.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast