Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
  1. #151

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,320
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    One good plus for Singapore is less Mainlanders.

    You know they now have a casino, right?!

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NT/CUHK
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Yes, been walking about all over Hong Kong. It’s all right, but certainly wouldn't be a motivating factor for staying in Hong Kong. I enjoy the outdoors in Canada/US a lot more – better air, more solitude, no crowds blasting their radios and littering. Each to their own.
    I've been to outdoors places in the US and Europe that I like more than HK's. I coudln't get there from my home via public transportation, though. That's what really draws me/drew me to HK.

    But the better air elsewhere, yeah, that's big.
    Mat, Cho-man and LaowaiLulu like this.

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Wow. I had you pegged as a chick for sure.
    Hey! 1978 called. Ya dig?

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger Sunny Qld for now
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Yes, been walking about all over Hong Kong. It’s all right, but certainly wouldn't be a motivating factor for staying in Hong Kong. I enjoy the outdoors in Canada/US a lot more – better air, more solitude, no crowds blasting their radios and littering. Each to their own.
    I so agree with you. HK hikers shit me!

    Next We'll hear how great the beaches are lmfao...... To an Australian I find it incredibly funny.

    I really cringe to think where some of you lived prior to HK if hk beaches and its sick dull green looking flora covered terrain, gives you a woody. There is nothing vibrant, lush or pleasantly aromatic about the country parks here. CHO MAN Victoria Island would smash hk for natural beauty..... or compared to a Queensland rain forest or the Dandenong ranges, heck even Long Pine 45 minutes drive from me would totally SMASH HK for quality of fauna and flora. And did I mention air quality, simply amazing the difference.

    I am not a fan of hiking in the big birdcage, but, not the type to piss in your pocket and tell you its raining, either....like most things in hk, its hyped up a lot more so than is actually reality.....

  5. #155

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I so agree with you. HK hikers shit me!

    Next We'll hear how great the beaches are lmfao...... To an Australian I find it incredibly funny.

    I really cringe to think where some of you lived prior to HK if hk beaches and its sick dull green looking flora covered terrain, gives you a woody. There is nothing vibrant, lush or pleasantly aromatic about the country parks here. CHO MAN Victoria Island would smash hk for natural beauty..... or compared to a Queensland rain forest or the Dandenong ranges, heck even Long Pine 45 minutes drive from me would totally SMASH HK for quality of fauna and flora. And did I mention air quality, simply amazing the difference.

    I am not a fan of hiking in the big birdcage, but, not the type to piss in your pocket and tell you its raining, either....like most things in hk, its hyped up a lot more so than is actually reality.....
    Well, people have different opinions, that is only natural. Some like hiking here, others don't, to each his own. I happen to find there is something vibrant here in our country parks, granted, its a different kind of vibrancy that you get in Australia, but HK is unqiue in its own way.

    Like what Mat said, its not fair to compare HK to Canada/US or Australia which is a much bigger place than HK with a lot more stuff to see. Bu what HK does have is convenience. Getting to a hiking trail is relatively quick and easy. And the scenery, while not necessarily spectacular, is a refreshing change from the concrete jungle of Mongkok.

    Sai Kung has some nice beaches, and its not always "green", but a nice blue colour in the summer with quite clear waters. So no, its not all "sick dull green" in HK.

    And if you want to argue on lushness, HK, despite being such a relatively small place, has a surprisingly high number of species. According to the AFCD, there are almost 3000 varieties of flowering plants, 120 orchid and over 300 native tree species, 2000 moth species, 110 dragonfly and 230 butterfly species. Not to mention HK having a third of the total bird species in all of China and freshwater fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals. And we have 80 species of hard coral in our waters, more than the entire Caribbean. In fact, in terms of biodiversity, HK has more species than the whole of UK, despite HK being 225 times smaller! And all that despite the pollution. So HK ain't quite the barren and worthless rock that you think.

    If you are not a fan of hiking here, that's fine with me, not going to argue on such a subjective thing, I am a fan of hiking in HK, so like I said, to each his own.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 14-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.

  6. #156

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I so agree with you. HK hikers shit me!

    Next We'll hear how great the beaches are lmfao...... To an Australian I find it incredibly funny.

    I really cringe to think where some of you lived prior to HK if hk beaches and its sick dull green looking flora covered terrain, gives you a woody. There is nothing vibrant, lush or pleasantly aromatic about the country parks here. CHO MAN Victoria Island would smash hk for natural beauty..... or compared to a Queensland rain forest or the Dandenong ranges, heck even Long Pine 45 minutes drive from me would totally SMASH HK for quality of fauna and flora. And did I mention air quality, simply amazing the difference.

    I am not a fan of hiking in the big birdcage, but, not the type to piss in your pocket and tell you its raining, either....like most things in hk, its hyped up a lot more so than is actually reality.....

    Just to add:

    The sky running world championship took place here last week attracting top runners from around the world...btw a few australians have recently settled in HK to trail run only)

    The ultra trail world tour season starts in hk in Jan before moving to japan (few hours from tokyo) france (few hours from Paris) australia (few hours from Sydney) etc...

    No one here said it compares to trails in the Alps or auatrali etc..it is just rare (i said rare not unique...) for a major city to have trails within 5mn of the ciry center (center not burbs)
    Last edited by Mat; 14-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by alfread:
    Yep!! and the Nick Tse's wife.. cant remember the name, Vicky chow and few others.
    If you are rich, just invest in any country and you will get the citizenship. Easy.
    Nope. We just got rid of that scheme after every Chinese with a bit of money wanting to move to Canada. Guess they will all want to move to Australia now.

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,844

    Anyway....
    So OP you want to move to Singapore eh? Did you find a way to do that? Transfer or getting a new job?



    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Anyway....
    So OP you want to move to Singapore eh? Did you find a way to do that? Transfer or getting a new job?



    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Just wondering about it. Honestly, I would have never left the US but DH wanted out (jobs are better for pilots out of the US and he got a much better gig). Like I originally said on my first post, I also LOVE Hong Kong. I love the big city life. The food is out of this world. It is fun.... My problem is the pollution. If we didn't have kids, I'd probably be a lot more relaxed (hell, I smoked for almost 15 years).. But I feel guilty for bringing my 2 year old here. She didn't have a choice and I am putting her health at risk if we live here long term.

    Singapore is an attractive option while DH works his 3 year contract here, after that he'll try to get a job somewhere else (still we both think SIN would be a good fit, but we want to spend some time there, living or at least on vacation to check it out).

    If that doesn't work out, we'll just enjoy HK as much as we are able! I want to make the best of our time here. I'm trying so set up a training/certification program for court interpreting in HK (what I used to do in the US, which I miss terribly too). If it works out, it would be a great experience to have and could be useful in SIN (since English is an official language there as well).

    So we'll see. DH just started his contract and is new to this plane, so changing jobs is really not the best idea right now.
    He's already sick of flying in China though... He says controllers drive him nuts

    We'll see what develops.
    Last edited by LaowaiLulu; 16-02-2015 at 02:56 AM.

  10. #160

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger Sunny Qld for now
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    He's already sick of flying in China though... He says controllers drive him nuts

    We'll see what develops.
    Yeah China sucks, not to mention waiting around for hours on the apron for military aircraft which get priority over commercially registered aircraft. Also having ' official ' Chinese navigators that have eye wateringly bad breath in the close confines of a flight deck....!

    Nobody likes flying in PRC airspace, that's a given.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-02-2015 at 07:50 AM.