Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I realise this was asked of the OP, but thought I'd answer this anyway.

I run purifiers because I use a particle counter to measure indoor air quality, because as the above post kind of gives away, I beleive in looking at data rather than relying on vague handwaving.

This morning, I checked the counter and air outside my apartment measured worse for particulates than standing directly outside Man Mo Temple on Hollywood Rd, which is famous for burning massive amounts of incense. If you're familiar with the incense-burning shrine that sits just off Lan Kwai Fong on Wo On Lane next to the Taco Truck, the air is within 10% of that.

Edit: I should add that I am running two air purifiers in my living room. Things bring inside air to 5-10% of the reading of outside air.
    I also have a particular counter and 2 air purifiers at home and the number is about the same as yours (10% of the reading if i have windows opened). I don't have any lung or breathing issues (yet!) but i just want to spend close to 50% of my time breathing better quality air.

Quote Originally Posted by shektau6:
    I also have a particular counter and 2 air purifiers at home and the number is about the same as yours (10% of the reading if i have windows opened). I don't have any lung or breathing issues (yet!) but i just want to spend close to 50% of my time breathing better quality air.
    Where do you get these things to read the air quality? I want to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    I read through the posting and didn't find anyone who suggested moving south from HK island, Kowloon and the NT to an outer island such as Lamma. Many people simply would rather leave HK than to live 30 minutes by ferry or their own boat from Central than to be inconvenienced. Yes, there are few amenities on Lamma, but if one is truly seeking cleaner air head south away from autos, trucks, planes. Granted, the ferries are still using bunker as fuel but that will be eventually phased out. There are many families that realize that picking up groceries on Sunday either on their own or with a helper' s assistance is far easier than sitting inside with an air purifier. Yes, there are beaches nearby and residents do have washers, dryers, ovens and amazing views.
    dont kid yourself. its the same air.

Watch documentary on China Air Under the Dome by Chai Jing on youtube

Cho-man and Natfixit like this.

No, actually not. It is proven cleaner and clearer both anecdotally and statistically.

I read through the posting and didn't find anyone who suggested moving south from HK island, Kowloon and the NT to an outer island such as Lamma. Many people simply would rather leave HK than to live 30 minutes by ferry or their own boat from Central than to be inconvenienced. Yes, there are few amenities on Lamma, but if one is truly seeking cleaner air head south away from autos, trucks, planes. Granted, the ferries are still using bunker as fuel but that will be eventually phased out. There are many families that realize that picking up groceries on Sunday either on their own or with a helper' s assistance is far easier than sitting inside with an air purifier. Yes, there are beaches nearby and residents do have washers, dryers, ovens and amazing views.
    But the OPs partner is a pilot, so I think living on Lamma is a pretty unrealistic commute. Perhaps they could consider Peng Chau, but surely Pui O on Lantau would be good enough! Op, have you looked at houses in Pui O?
    Mat likes this.

Yes, Ap Lei Choi is not too bad, Repulse Bay, etc. is ok, but offshore is statistically the only place with a major difference. One has to trade the inconvenience for the cleaner lifestyle.

Yes, Ap Lei Choi is not too bad, Repulse Bay, etc. is ok, but offshore is statistically the only place with a major difference. One has to trade the inconvenience for the cleaner lifestyle.
    What statistics are you referring to? I don't believe there are any Government monitoring stations on Lamma or other small islands around Hong Kong?

Not sure if you consider Lantau as "offshore" but the Tung Chung station frequently has worse pollution than other stations around Hong Kong.

Tung Chung, yes is offshore. Unfortunately, "contrails" from jets produce a fair amount of suspended particulates that irritate asthmatics and those with allergies. Lantau residents suffer due to these emissions. The government doesn't have a reporting station on Lamma at the present time but statistical data has been obtained in the recent past. Until bunker is eliminated in the ferries there will continue to be issues with residual emissions even on Lamma. Fortunately, it is still much better than repeated contrail emissions from jets.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast