Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

    I was out on top of a mountain middle of last week. What I mainly saw was grey haze. I've since stopped outdoor excercise as the air counts have gotten even worse.
    .
    I'm not arguing, simply disagreeing with the OP's statement. Or expressing an alternative view, if you like. In case you didn't realize, I said she is entitled to her view, just that I disagree with some of it.

    I climb many mountains and hills in HK, yes, some days you only see haze, but I've hiked and climb enough in HK to know there are also quite a few days when the air is reasonably clear and the view is terrific. To say all you see is smog every time you hike such that its not worth hiking at all is plain wrong. To say otherwise is frankly silly, in my opinion.

    Hong Kong has many things against it too, but moving to Singapore, well, sure, you will gain some good things but also lose some other good points in HK.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-02-2015 at 03:56 PM.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Cho, are you arguing just for the sake of arguing again?

    I was out on top of a mountain middle of last week. What I mainly saw was grey haze. I've since stopped outdoor excercise as the air counts have gotten even worse.

    Sure, Singapore has bad air sometimes, but it's limited to short periods where they burn off trees in neighbouring countries vs months at a time here.

    Singapore has a lot of things against it- it's a bit dull, the weather is a downer and the place is tiny. But air quality between the two cities is one point that is frankly silly to argue on.
    My thoughts exactly. Today would be a perfect hiking day: 18 degrees and sunny... Except you can't see 3 meters ahead.

    I haven't experienced the summer here yet: some say the air is cleaner (some say it's not, you know how it is)... But let's imagine it is cleaner... Not sure if hiking with the oppressing heat would be ideal either... In reality you don't move to HK for the hiking trails, for the same reason you don't move to Michigan to go surfing.
    TheBrit and Skyhook like this.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    Mmm not really. Let's see: when you try to immigrate to another country, the first thing you look at is the immigration laws of such country (not your company's HR department, since they can't grant visas as far as I know..).

    The laws are not entirely clear when it comes to a particular situation like mine, so I came to this forum, went to the "LEAVING HK" section (since this IS about leaving HK) and asked to see if anyone had a similar experience and, if so, what to expect.

    I guess his suggestion of talking to HR MIGHT do something, but really they don't have the power to grant permission to live and work anywhere. So I'll look into it like I said, but really don't know how much it'll help.

    So no, that's not the "100% common sense I should have thought of first".
    I won't address your personal conflicts with other users, but you are wrong here.

    HR departments of any large company like an airline have immigration consulting firms on retainer. The consultant will be able to tell you the immigration laws of Singapore, and HR will be able to tell you A) if they will allow your husband to keep his job if he lives in Sing and B) what if anything they will do to assist your application in fees and services.

    Speaking to HR is absolutely the first thing to do if your plan is to move to Singapore while your husband remains employed by the same company.

    If you were planning simply to move to Sing or look for jobs over there that might sponsor, then you'd be right to start with Sing immigration law.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,625

    Anyone has the popcorn?
    This is gonna get good soon I htink.


  5. #65

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    My thoughts exactly. Today would be a perfect hiking day: 18 degrees and sunny... Except you can't see 3 meters ahead.

    I haven't experienced the summer here yet: some say the air is cleaner (some say it's not, you know how it is)... But let's imagine it is cleaner... Not sure if hiking with the oppressing heat would be ideal either... In reality you don't move to HK for the hiking trails, for the same reason you don't move to Michigan to go surfing.
    Uh-eh, and you really think every day in winter is like this? How long have you been in HK exactly? You simply don't know enough to make a convincing statement there, I'm afraid.

    I have no opinion about you moving to Singapore. That is perfectly in your right. But like I said, its not necessarily paradise there.

    P.S-I don't think anyone of us here moved to HK for the hiking, so your point is moot and irrelevant.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    Mmm not really. Let's see: when you try to immigrate to another country, the first thing you look at is the immigration laws of such country (not your company's HR department, since they can't grant visas as far as I know..).

    The laws are not entirely clear when it comes to a particular situation like mine, so I came to this forum, went to the "LEAVING HK" section (since this IS about leaving HK) and asked to see if anyone had a similar experience and, if so, what to expect.

    I guess his suggestion of talking to HR MIGHT do something, but really they don't have the power to grant permission to live and work anywhere. So I'll look into it like I said, but really don't know how much it'll help.

    So no, that's not the "100% common sense I should have thought of first".

    I didn't mean to step in your pretty little toes by not liking HK as much as I expected on arrival, but that doesn't mean you have to be a b*tch... First by using derogatory terms about my nationality, and then spewing criticism that makes no sense. THAT really isn't helpful.
    You appear to want to move countries without [your husband] changing jobs. Talking to HR is the first step!

    As to finding the laws of immigration to a new country, you find that in the [forums about or official information on] the new country, not a section of a forum meant for exit taxation, closing bank accounts and removal firms.....!

    I'm sorry you are unhappy with your life here. But running away doesn't solve problems. You just get a whole new set to deal with. If you think air pollution is the be-all and the end-all of your life I pity you.

    You don't even seem to be acknowledging your poor husband in all this, who by your very words likes it here!
    Cho-man, bibbju and bdw like this.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I won't address your personal conflicts with other users, but you are wrong here.

    HR departments of any large company like an airline have immigration consulting firms on retainer. The consultant will be able to tell you the immigration laws of Singapore, and HR will be able to tell you A) if they will allow your husband to keep his job if he lives in Sing and B) what if anything they will do to assist your application in fees and services.

    Speaking to HR is absolutely the first thing to do if your plan is to move to Singapore while your husband remains employed by the same company.

    If you were planning simply to move to Sing or look for jobs over there that might sponsor, then you'd be right to start with Sing immigration law.
    Thanks. Like I said I'll look into it. Husband works for a pretty small company with only a handful of planes. They also encourage you to live in base, so I wanted to look outside the company first.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

    You don't even seem to be acknowledging your poor husband in all this, who by your very words likes it here!
    Sounds like she is the one calling the shots on this, I pity her husband...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-02-2015 at 04:06 PM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You appear to want to move countries without [your husband] changing jobs. Talking to HR is the first step!

    As to finding the laws of immigration to a new country, you find that in the [forums about or official information on] the new country, not a section of a forum meant for exit taxation, closing bank accounts and removal firms.....!

    I'm sorry you are unhappy with your life here. But running away doesn't solve problems. You just get a whole new set to deal with. If you think air pollution is the be-all and the end-all of your life I pity you.

    You don't even seem to be acknowledging your poor husband in all this, who by your very words likes it here!
    Of course my husband is on board! We have been talking about this a lot. One thing we like about SIN is that we could become permanent residents in 2 years and MAYBE ditch US citizenship (for tax purposes). So yeah he's not just a puppy dog that follows me around

    Honestly, like I said in my original post, I still think HK is amazing and one of the most exciting places on earth. If we didn't have children I wouldn't really mind the pollution so much, but I don't want my daughter to grow with it. She has no choice and it is our responsabilty to provide her with a healthy environment to grow in. The pollution really weighs heavily in my heart. I don't want to harm her health in any way and yes, I'm the first one to say it is my fault for not researching the issue better before coming here (which I have already said)...

    So, there you have it. I honestly was looking for someone who went trhough the same, my idea was not to turn this into a "HK vs SIN kinda debate" or "Pollution is bad vs pollution is OK".... I was just curious to see if anyone did what we want to do.
    Cho-man likes this.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    Of course my husband is on board! We have been talking about this a lot. One thing we like about SIN is that we could become permanent residents in 2 years and MAYBE ditch US citizenship (for tax purposes). So yeah he's not just a puppy dog that follows me around
    Ditching US citizenship for tax purposes? Oh boy, you are opening another can of worms there.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast