Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

First, let me start by saying I LOVE Hong Kong. I love the amazing big city life, the food, the people, the million possibilities, the extremely exciting night life, the endless fun activities to do with your children (we have a 2.5 year old).

I would NEVER leave this place.

But I can't deal with the air pollution any longer.
    It's no fun if you can't get out and enjoy what the city has to offer.

For the past 10 days, I've been trapped with my toddler inside running all air purifiers. Aqui of 230 tonight here in Tung Chung. It hasn't gotten under 150 for over a week.

I can't do it. I knew HK had an "air pollution problem", but didn't know it was SO BAD.

People living here just dismiss it or call it "fog" or "moisture".

My rental contract ends in November and I want out. Now, my question is... How hard is is to move to Singapore if you are employed with a company that would allow commuting from Singapore to HK (airline)??

In other words, can we obtain permission to live while employed to a HK company? I've tried to research this but all I'm finding is about being sponsored by a Singaporean company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Apologies in advance but this isn't addressing your question.

There is an easier solution - try moving out of Tung Chung which is notorious for its air pollution.

The area around Ma On Shan and Tai Po has good air quality (not based on any official figures, just my experience of living there for over 10 years). May seem far but a lot closer than the Pore.

Am I reading your question correctly - can I live in Singapore and commute to HK. On a practical level it is possible, I spent a time commuting weekly from the Philippines to HK. The problem is on what basis would you get permission to reside in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Apologies in advance but this isn't addressing your question.

There is an easier solution - try moving out of Tung Chung which is notorious for its air pollution.

The area around Ma On Shan and Tai Po has good air quality (not based on any official figures, just my experience of living there for over 10 years). May seem far but a lot closer than the Pore.
    If you think there is good air quality anywhere in HK you have been there too long.

Exactly, I would like to know if such thing is possible. Retaining HK employment would be great, as the money is good
    I forgot to say we are US citizens, which may make things worse? Or better?

If not we can seek employment with a Singaporean carrier, but that might take longer...

But for immigration purposes, showing contract and commuting clause would take care of the income part.. So we shouldn't need a sponsor. I just don't know if such thing is doable.

Thanks

Last edited by LaowaiLulu; 12-02-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Sorry I can't help on 'pore immig rules but I can't see how you would get visas.

I'll look into it. Maybe the only way will be getting a job with one of the Singaporean airlines.. Same way we got into HK. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    Exactly, I would like to know if such thing is possible. Retaining HK employment would be great, as the money is good
    I forgot to say we are US citizens, which may make things worse? Or better?

If not we can seek employment with a Singaporean carrier, but that might take longer...

But for immigration purposes, showing contract and commuting clause would take care of the income part.. So we shouldn't need a sponsor. I just don't know if such thing is doable.

Thanks

This thread looks like it could help you

We want to live in Singapore, so where do we start ? - Singapore Forum - TripAdvisor

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast