Like Tree15Likes

How far ahead of departure can MPF be withdrawn?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone who meets the conditions can withdraw early. The nature of your residence in Hong Kong is not related to any of the conditions except in that, should you be applying for early withdrawal on the grounds of preparing permanently to leave Hong Kong, it should be coming to an end. In the permanent migration scenario, you do need to show that you have the right to settle in another country (I used my passport), but your legal status in Hong Kong is not in question.

Your permanent residence status is not affected by your announcement of your planned permanent departure from Hong Kong. It may be affected, however, by an actual permanent (or significantly prolonged) absence from the city.

Last edited by M Khan; 07-09-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    Open Casket and shri like this.

Just curious - did you have to coordinate with the Inland Revenue to get your taxes calculated and then having the MPF released to your account?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmac:
    Just curious - did you have to coordinate with the Inland Revenue to get your taxes calculated and then having the MPF released to your account?
    Yup I went to inland revenue and asked them for an up to date statement and to confirm I have no taxes owing.

Then I sent it to my mpf provider

I didn't have to do that, as tax obligations are not connected to MPF obligations. I am still working and paying tax, but I have an existing pension scheme back home that qualifies me for MPF exemption. I had paid into an MPF scheme for a number of years, but opted not to continue to do so, last year.

I had nothing to prove that I had an existing scheme back home, nor was any evidence of this requested of me. I simply stated that this was the case and that I would not be continuing to make MPF contributions. The issue never came up when I came to withdrawing the accrued benefits.

Last edited by M Khan; 22-09-2015 at 08:33 AM.
    hkxp likes this.

Thanks for the update. This is really helpful as my husband and I are thinking of relocating but the problem is I need a visa and we have to meet a certain financial requirement, which his MPF will allow us to prove for the visa.

Quote Originally Posted by M Khan:
    I didn't have to do that, as tax obligations are not connected to MPF obligations. I am still working and paying tax, but I have an existing pension scheme back home that qualifies me for MPF exemption. I had paid into an MPF scheme for a number of years, but opted not to continue to do so, last year.

I had nothing to prove that I had an existing scheme back home, nor was any evidence of this requested of me. I simply stated that this was the case and that I would not be continuing to make MPF contributions. The issue never came up when I came to withdrawing the accrued benefits.
    Key difference for me was that I was leaving HK

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Key difference for me was that I was leaving HK
    So am I. Next summer. It is on that basis (about to permanently leave HK) that I withdrew my MPF.

The issue of final tax obligations is one I shall take up with IRD, as necessary, at the appropriate point next year. But tax wasn't a relevant issue to my MPF withdrawal.
    Last edited by M Khan; 23-09-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Can the IRD go after someone's MPF for unpaid taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Can the IRD go after someone's MPF for unpaid taxes?
    Interesting question. I don't know the answer but I would instinctively have thought it would not be possible. Better to ask an official source, though.

Quote Originally Posted by M Khan:
    Two weeks later, the money was in my account. The total balance I received was about HKD3,000 down on what it had been at the time of my original application, but I have no idea whether that was the result of fees or the rather unpleasant turn that the markets have taken in recent weeks.
    I just received my final MPF statement, yesterday. Despite the recent market turmoil, my balance actually ended the year slightly up, so I can only imagine that the 3k that went missing was taken out in fees. There is no indication in the statement of any fees or other deductions relating to my withdrawal, and on paper there seems to be no explanation for the amount I was given being less than the amount I had accrued. But I am not in the mood for another headache in trying to find out where the missing money went, so I shall leave this note on public record for the benefit of those who are thinking about withdrawing their MPF, but otherwise I shall let the matter lie.
    itsdawn likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2