Moving to Shekou - Mom Questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Moving to Shekou - Mom Questions

Hi all, this is a great forum. I currently live in Oregon, USA. Looks like dear husband, self and our 18 month old will be moving to Shekou, just outside of Shenzhen in May for 5 months. I all ready have met one online friend through the Shekou Womens International Club who is a tremendous help, but wanted to post some questions here while we are preparing for this. Any help great-info from moms especially appreciated:
    1. What are your main health concerns-especially with a little guy?
    2. Has anyone out there used the International SOS clinic in Shekou and do you recommend it for basic needs?
    3. Our housing will be furnished but what did you bring over or wish you had? Foodstuffs? Linens?
    4. I speak no Chinese and will try to learn some but will I do okay with just a few phrases?

Thanks all!

Last edited by CoolMom; 01-04-2005 at 06:15 AM.

Hi Cool,

Sorry about this, but instead of answering your questions, I'm going to ask you one. We live in Seattle and are moving to Shekou in July. We will probably live in Jingshan Villas, but nothing is settled yet. I have 4 kids. I would like to find someone to email like you did. Can you tell me how you found your friend?

I hope you get lots of responses to your questions, because I would love to find out the same answers. Good luck. We might even find that we cross paths.

Dogberta

Talking

Hi Dogberta, I saw your posts as well. Sounds like we are in a similar boat- leaving here at the end of rainy season so we can arrive in Shekou for....the rainy season! I contacted the Shekou Women's International Club at http://www.swiconline.com and asked if anyone would be a contact for me. A kind lady w/2 kids agreed. Attached is a sheet she was kind enough to share. Am passing on to you as it has a bunch of mom info. If you can't pull it down let me know and will email you. I also have a bunch of International SOS clinic info if you want to see that. That is all here for now. Would love to meet you sometime as we plan to live in same area. I think we will go over in May. Let's stay in touch as there is so much to figure out. I used to be such a relaxed traveler but am trying to check everything out now that our little guy is going with us.

CM

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Cool,

The doc was great. I found a lot of answers plus. I sent away an email as you suggested, so I hope I get hooked up. I know what you mean about trying to be more prepared in advance. This is our third international post (we've been in Switzerland and Dubai), and I've learned the hard way that gathering info before you move is worth every bit of effort.

I don't have anyone in diapers anymore (my youngest is 3), but when we moved to Switzerland I had 2 in diapers. My husband thought I was nuts because I bought enough diapers for 2 years and put them in our shipment. It really paid off because diapers in Switzerland cost twice what they do in the States.

I would love to keep in touch. I'll send you a private message through this website and we can exchange email addresses.

Dogberta

A quick suggestion .. we have a lot of parents from HK and southern china on Geobaby.Com ... might get a lot more practical advice there.

Red face Hi

Hi All,

My husband is considering taking on a job as a Managing Director in Shekou. I've been searching the net and found some info but... We would be interested in living in Jingshan Villas but their e-mail does not work. Any other suggestions than Jingshan Villas? How much would rent be? I also tried to contact the Shekou Womans International Club but haven't received a reply. Any suggestions in how to contact the expat community in Shekou? I read that the climate is humid so I guess it would be a good idea to store our furniture in the states and buy new or do those Villas or Duplexes come furnished? Lastly, I found out that there are two International Schools in Shekou. I have a 15 and 12 year old. What is the difference between the QSI and International other than the price? I would greatly appriciate any info.
    Thanks and have a great day.

I don't know Jingshan Villas, but I have a 3 bedroom village flat in Baishizhou near Window of the World for around Y800. Luxury flats will cost more. Locally bought furniture is cheap. Buy wooden sofas etc to keep cool in the summer.
    English is not widely spoken, and other languages are even less so, so you'll need a Mandarin phrasebook and you should take lessons when you get there.

Info on Renting a Flat or House

Roger: Is that $800 a month or RBM? and how would I go about to find out more? Is your place close to Shekou?

Thanks.

Hey Know-it-All,

Thanks for idea of using the geobaby site too. I will check it out.

CM

Baerchen,

I also received some pricing info on Jingshan Villas area. It is a pricing doc from a contact in Shekou so I will send it private to you. We are also looking there. My husband is going over in a week or so to check it out. Will let you all know what we find.

Best of luck-

CoolMom

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast