Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By ummbongo

Excess baggage on the plane

Closed Thread

Excess baggage on the plane

Slowly plotting my escape back the UK.

We don't have enough belongings to warrant the use of a logistics company (it's all basically books, documents, clothes, toys and some electronics).

Considered surface mail which seems pretty cheap. No real issue with the length of time it takes.

Also considered buying extra baggage from the airline. For example, you get one 1 x checked baggage as part of the flight, and then buy 9 extra bags:

British airways (23kg on each bag):

1 x GBP60
    8 x GBP120

= 1020 for 230kg

Air France (23kg on each bag)

= 977 for 230kg

No idea if I'd need 230kg worth of baggage for the time being.

For the convenience of collecting your bags straight from the flight you've taken, it also seems pretty reasonably priced.

Any thoughts? Would you have to pre-book the baggage? Could the airline subsequently refuse?

dossier likes this.

Seafreight is cheap

I'd imagine the airline wouldn't be able to refuse it if it's pre-booked and why would they anyway? Airfrance gives up to 20% discount on pre-purchased excess baggage. Just buy it together with your tickets.

But I think you made a mistake in your calculation. AFAIK on long haul with Air France the price is way higher than what you have. First bag exceeding allowance is 100 USD and every subsequent bag is 200 USD.
    230 kg would be 1 free plus 9 excess bags a 23kg, so 1700 USD.

Even airfreight with UPS or DHL should be cheaper. About 12k HKD.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 15-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    ummbongo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Seafreight is cheap
    True, but the handling charges around it are extremely high. If you ask for quotes, get door-to-door to avoid surprises.

Mrgoodkat perhaps you're right. I just used their own baggage calculator and inputted from HK - London:

Bagage Calculator

TB does multipack service simply mean you use their boxes?

However, be careful sending electrical/electronic goods by post. There is a strong chance you will be (heavily) taxed when it reaches the UK. I had to pay 50 quid extra as one box I posted back to myself had a new rice cooker in it.

If you can, wrap them well and take them on the plane with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ummbongo:
    Mrgoodkat perhaps you're right. I just used their own baggage calculator and inputted from HK - London:

Bagage Calculator
    You have only seen the price for the first extra piece. Set that number higher and you will see. SAS is the only airline I know where you can book 4 pieces extra at the same charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ummbongo:
    Slowly plotting my escape back the UK.

We don't have enough belongings to warrant the use of a logistics company (it's all basically books, documents, clothes, toys and some electronics).

Considered surface mail which seems pretty cheap. No real issue with the length of time it takes.

Also considered buying extra baggage from the airline. For example, you get one 1 x checked baggage as part of the flight, and then buy 9 extra bags:

British airways (23kg on each bag):

1 x GBP60
    8 x GBP120

= 1020 for 230kg

Air France (23kg on each bag)

= 977 for 230kg

No idea if I'd need 230kg worth of baggage for the time being.

For the convenience of collecting your bags straight from the flight you've taken, it also seems pretty reasonably priced.

Any thoughts? Would you have to pre-book the baggage? Could the airline subsequently refuse?
    Excess bags, pre-booked, on British Airways seems to be a good way - first extra bag at £60 and additional at £120 onwards each - I am not sure what the maximum limit is though