Like Tree1Likes

Maximum cash allowed when leaving Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Once saw a woman unloading a suitcase of money (no exaggeration I can assure you) on the Airport Express. She might as well have put up a sign saying "Please rob me".

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Monsterball - anonymous banking

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 15-10-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Once saw a woman unloading a suitcase of money (no exaggeration I can assure you) on the Airport Express. She might as well have put up a sign saying "Please rob me".
    Can you imagine somebody doing that on the Paddington - Heathrow express?!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You mean she had it open and was taking the cash out? She couldn't wait until she got home?!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    What about buying gold coins? Leaving aside the danger of loosing them, I wonder what the custom's situtation would be if you had a load of gold coins and sold them in your country of choice?....
    Many places this would work, (especially if you're not buying pure bullion and then can claim the coins as simply a collection). However, US stores would make you fill out a form and most likely take a photocopy of your ID, which can then be used for purposes of Taxes etc... However, all within reason, minus a small inconvenience should not be a problem.

Also, rare gold ancients (such as Byzantine, Roman, etc.) would probably work best and many can hold value of $10K USD or more in a single coin..... Thus making it very transportable.... the problem is, it's a fairly small market and thus transactions are much easier to track than pure bullion. (or so I hear ).
    Last edited by climber07; 15-10-2008 at 05:33 PM.

diplomatic pouch

Quote Originally Posted by PointsOfNote:
    You mean she had it open and was taking the cash out? She couldn't wait until she got home?!
    Indeed, I was gobsmacked as she unloaded stacks of notes several inches thick and put them into two hand luggage bags. I also think she might have put them in the cargo hold!

cashier's checks.. traveller's checks.. u still have to declare if over 10000$ i believe but u can just get em cancelled.

wire transfer sucks can be a pain to set up. Suppliers often pay in cash in hong kong. Just deposit the money when you get home and declare the income at the end of the year if you're worried about an audit.

Gold coins is stupid lol if i were a customs guy i'd just pocket that shit. What if you have to go through a metal detector or a customs search and they see a giant roll of gold coins what are u going to pretend to be professor indiana jones searching for the lost treasure of muldaroon?

I had a friend take like 40k in traveller's checks and customs saw it and didnt even care. It's not that unusual, and beats cash.. what if u have a layover ? u want to show some min wage airport dude 40k in cash? declared or not?

If they wanna be anal and seize the checks just cancel them.

I was inspected in a layover in japan and had like 20k in cash on me because i closed out a business account 1 hour before my flight and had to rush to get a last minute opening and had no choice.. He seemed more concerned that i would think he was trying to steal the money and went out of his way to not touch the wallet and instead look for non-existent contraband. PS I think a 5000 HKD bill would be pretty sweet for carrying lots of $$ without having huge rolls everywhere.

Last edited by beeph; 03-12-2008 at 03:02 PM.

500 Euro bills (= about 5000 HKD) ... You can move quite a bit in these bills.

>>> u still have to declare if over 10000$ i believe but u can just get em
    >>> cancelled.

Here's the thing. You can take out as much as you want, as long as you've declared it.