Like Tree1Likes

Maximum cash allowed when leaving Hong Kong

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maximum cash allowed when leaving Hong Kong

Hi...anyone knows what is the maximum amount of cash allowed when leaving Hong Kong? Just to be on the safe side and not wanting the customs to confiscate my money!

I can't answer that but be there is something else to consider that might be even more important and this is:

how much can you bring into the country(ies) you are going to?

That might be a more challenging issue. I believe other threads show ways to get money transferred easily and safely IIRC.

There is no outbound customs in HK, so no-one to confiscate it. There is no limit on the amount of cash you can take out.

As F16 says, taking it in somewhere else is likely to be more problematic.

Why not wire it?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Why not wire it?
    because that would leave a paper-trail...

I'm not suggesting that the OP is trying to avoid tax in any particular country but I know that a lot of people prefer to take the risk of carrying large amounts of cash through customs than alerting the tax man...I just wish I had that sort of cash to have to make such a choice myself
    kwossie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    how much can you bring into the country(ies) you are going to?
    I think limit would be around $10K USD for most countries.

I'd hate the idea of carrying cash around - way too much chance of losing it! I've seen 10,000 PhP on the Philippines arrival form and I think AUD 10,000 on the Aussie one ... so 10,000 of whatever the currency is sounds common!

Why not just get Bank Drafts ( its like a cheque ) made up in denominations smaller than the limit. say in $9500AUS amounts for example, to the value of what you need to take in. Taking it out is the easy part, it's also a lot easier to manage a few bank drafts folded neatly in a pocket, than trying to carry wads of cash on your person. .

Then, once you arrive in the country of origin, just deposit bank drafts over a given time frame into an account, under the declaration limit of the bank, in your country, then there is no report. So they say.

HSBC can arrange a bankers draft in any currency that you nominate...

Simple really...

Last edited by Skyhook; 15-10-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Canada lets you bring in $10K CDN before you have to declare it. Or you could stuff it in your underwear like in that movie 21. I guess that was a domestic flight though...

What about buying gold coins? Leaving aside the danger of loosing them, I wonder what the custom's situtation would be if you had a load of gold coins and sold them in your country of choice?....

Doesn't solve the problem - either they are money/monetary instruments and there's a $10,000 limit, or they are possessions which you intend to sell, which is subject to very small limits before tax kicks in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast