Like Tree3Likes

Bringing my Filipina wife to France to live with me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    panevino83

Bringing my Filipina wife to France to live with me

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me on this matter as I'm really confused about what to do next.

I just got married with my filipina wife and I'm wondering how to do in the future to go back to Europe with her. My situation confuses me for this reason:

I'm italian nationality, working in HK and I used to live in France for the last 5 years. I'm planning to go back to France in 2016. I'm owner of a flat in France, where I used to live before and where I'm planning to live again when I'll be back.

My concern is about how to bring my wife to France? Shall she ask for a tourist visa as a spouse and once we are there, we apply for a residence for her?

I called both the Italian and French embassies and in Italy looks like much more easier to get a visa for my wife, so I was also thinking to get her first a tourist visa to Italy and stay in France (besides she will be allowed to travel in France) and in the meantime to ask to the french Prefecture the residency for her in France with me.

Actually I'm bit confused what's the best process, so what you think guys? Which is the best way to leave together from HK?

Thank you for your help :-)

How long does it take for her to get an Italian passport? Can she apply for it in HK? With EU passport she can have residency in France.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    How long does it take for her to get an Italian passport? Can she apply for it in HK? With EU passport she can have residency in France.
    Not too long - two years if living in Italy. And they can also apply if living overseas; the time scale for that is three years. I think it's cheap too (compared to the UK) at a few hundred euros.

Hello,

I will try to help you with my experience and some informations.

I am french and i am married with a filipina. First for "Druken Master", its not possible to apply for an italian passport as this is the same rules than for french passport where the wife has to be married during something like 5 years minimum , live in Italy during a couple of years and also able to proove that she isable to communicate in italian.

Now , you can apply for 2 types of visa, but these ones have to be applied for Italy as you are italian citizen.
    The first type is a Short stay Schengen visa as member of italian family ( my wife got this one as member of french family), then she can stay, go and come back anytime she want with the restriction to be less than 6 months per year in Italy or schengen country and with each stay less than 90 days.
    The second type is a long stay Schengen visa (more than 90 days stay ), this one is not necessary more complicated but maybe in your case...yes...as what you say you dont live in italy since few years but in france or in hong kong.

Note that if like for the french embassy, everthing can be done in the italian embassy (Hong kong or manila ) without appointment as she is the wife of an italian citizen. Also normally there is nothing to pay for the visa as wife of italian citizen ( we paid nothing for the visa of my wife which is valid for 4 years ).

Hope it can help you.

Good luck

wtbhotia, shri and jrkob like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The quickest way to an EU passport is €650,000 and a year's holiday in Malta.

panevino83

Actually is all a bit confusing, I might try to send an email to the French embassy here in HK and ask them which is the best way.

Actually my ideas are the following:

- Get for her a tourist visa for Italy and while she's there with me in Italy, we ask in the french prefecture a visa for her to live in France at the same time that I change my residency to France;

- Get a tourist visa for France and if that's granted, once we are in France we will ask to extend/ transform it to a residency permit

I really think that it will be impossible to apply for a tourist visa for France as there are big restrictions for philippines citizen and as you are not french citizen so the only way is to pass through the italian embassy.

We got a Shengen visa for France and it was not painless involving two trips to London and that was just for a two week holiday. Someone at the agency (it was outsourced to a private company) said next time apply for another European country as the French were the toughest and require the most documentation.

Oh and though the visa was free, as I am an EU citizen, there was still an admin fee.

panevino83

Actually I was also looking at the application for a Shengen Visa...

the application is both present in the italian and the French internet sites.

When I called the italian embassy to ask them informations, they said that when we will want to leave and go to Italy, we will just need to go in the embassy and they will make her a tourist visa, then once in Italy we will apply for a longer one that will give her the possibility to work.

My concern is regarding the fact that I'm owner of a flat in France closed to the italian border, where I'm planning to live with her so I was thinking what about pass through the italian embassy at the beginning to go back with her, and then staying in France (normally, the visa request should be done in the country on main destination, and if we plan to go to stay in France after....but anyway even we apply in Italy they will never know how many nights we sleep in Italy and how many nights we sleep in France :-) )

So why not apply in the italian embassy if is much easier to get it (besides I'm italian and the assistance they give me would be better in the italian embassy) and then once we are in Italy/France, I move my residency in France and ask to the France Prefecture a permission of permanent stay for her as well...?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    We got a Shengen visa for France and it was not painless involving two trips to London and that was just for a two week holiday. Someone at the agency (it was outsourced to a private company) said next time apply for another European country as the French were the toughest and require the most documentation.

Oh and though the visa was free, as I am an EU citizen, there was still an admin fee.

The Italian route seems the best way and as you say how will they know where you are sleeping?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast