Like Tree3Likes

Activate visa by leaving Hong Kong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    robbfg

Activate visa by leaving Hong Kong

Is it necessary to leave HKG and re-enter on your work / dependant visa to activate it, or can this be done at the immigration office now? I assume this is only if you arrived on a tourist visa...

If not, i assume the macau is the best option?
    Thanks

I had to leave/re-enter because yes, I arrived on a tourist visa and got the work visa later. I believe anywhere works, but Macau is a nice spot for a day trip!

We're doing it this weekend, we're flying to Taipei for the weekend. We were planning trips anyway, otherwise we would have gone to Macau. Our visa needs to be activated before December 22 or so, if you don't it's no longer valid and you need to apply again. Our tourist visas are expiring 4 November anyway (my husband is already fine, it's just us, the dependants).

I never did this funnily enough. I applied for dependent visa from a tourist visa. No-one at immigration ever indicated that i had to leave and i never saw anything written anywhere that it needed to be done. I've now had my visa extended twice and its never been mentioned.
    I think its worth directly calling immigration and asking them specifically if you need to do so.
    Maybe if its a work visa ( which is different to a dependent visa ) it needs to be done. Also, the rules could very well have changed since i applied in 2005.

Last edited by HKLozzo; 21-10-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Work Visa - You need to leave the country and come back in to activate visa.
    Dependant Visa - In most (I believe all) cases you don't need to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Work Visa - You need to leave the country and come back in to activate visa.
    Dependant Visa - In most (I believe all) cases you don't need to leave.
    What these guys are saying is true for a work visa. You leave HK to Macau or where ever you go. They might ask you when you get back to HK IF you are now wanting to activate the work visa. At least that is what she asked me and seemed to be giving me a choice to re-enter as a tourist it seemed. I activated it. I too had come on a tourist visa and submitted my application for my work (investment) visa while here touring and setting up our company.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    What these guys are saying is true for a work visa. You leave HK to Macau or where ever you go. They might ask you when you get back to HK IF you are now wanting to activate the work visa. At least that is what she asked me and seemed to be giving me a choice to re-enter as a tourist it seemed. I activated it. I too had come on a tourist visa and submitted my application for my work (investment) visa while here touring and setting up our company.
    Immigration shouldn't really have to ask you. If you come in through the tourist channel you are getting a chop and if you go through the resident channel you should be activating your work visa.

Anyways lets just simplify to this:

When Immigration gives you your passport if it has a visa expiry date it in such as "Previous Conditions of Stay revoked, visa holder now permited to stay until ___ ___ ___" Than your visa is active. If you don't have an expiry date of your visa you need to go out and come in to get your one year stamp. (or as per visa length otherwise)

HKC...in the interests of simplification...one minor point. IIRC, when you come back from Macau before you activate the visa the OP will go to the visitors point of entry.

My point about opting to activate the visa or not is not material to the OPs post but is correct BTW.

Dependant visa and I had to leave. This was discussed before on another topic! Seems the visas issued can be different for some strange and unknown reason.

I have excepted a job in HK. Sent what HR required, they sent to immigration for my work visa. Gov came back to co. asking for more job rerference letters. I complied. Does the process start anew or do they pick up where left off after receiving required documents.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast