Like Tree16Likes

Leaving Hong Kong - withdrawing MPF - HSBC Denied

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    So if you withdraw early because of permanent departure from HK does that affect your PR status?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636
    Quote Originally Posted by superpilot:
    So if you withdraw early because of permanent departure from HK does that affect your PR status?
    Only if you are not a Chinese citizen and you don't return for a visit every 36 months. Then your PR will change from ROA to RTL.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-02-2016 at 12:38 PM.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tuen Mun, New Territories
    Posts
    11

    Just bear in mind one point: I heard from a friend who was caught in this situation, that if you apply for this, you will never be able to get again an MPF scheme in HK even if you decide to return later... It is a one-time only, so even if some day in the future you decide to return to HK to work, you will not be granted any MPF as you have already used your only chance and redeemed it.
    If your plans are that some day you may want to return to work in HK with MPF scheme available, not to redeem the earnings now, just keep them as they are. And only redeem it in the case that you are a 100% sure you will not return here to work.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636
    Quote Originally Posted by joan_fortuna:
    Just bear in mind one point: I heard from a friend who was caught in this situation, that if you apply for this, you will never be able to get again an MPF scheme in HK even if you decide to return later... It is a one-time only, so even if some day in the future you decide to return to HK to work, you will not be granted any MPF as you have already used your only chance and redeemed it.
    If your plans are that some day you may want to return to work in HK with MPF scheme available, not to redeem the earnings now, just keep them as they are. And only redeem it in the case that you are a 100% sure you will not return here to work.
    You can only REDEEM early once. Any proof other than hearsay that a new MPF account is not possible upon return?
    kimwy66 likes this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    -
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by joan_fortuna:
    Just bear in mind one point: I heard from a friend who was caught in this situation, that if you apply for this, you will never be able to get again an MPF scheme in HK even if you decide to return later... It is a one-time only, so even if some day in the future you decide to return to HK to work, you will not be granted any MPF as you have already used your only chance and redeemed it.
    If your plans are that some day you may want to return to work in HK with MPF scheme available, not to redeem the earnings now, just keep them as they are. And only redeem it in the case that you are a 100% sure you will not return here to work.
    You can only redeem one time. If you decide to return to HK in future you could still get MPF but can't redeem anymore before retirement.
    Last edited by Drunken Master; 23-02-2016 at 01:52 PM.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You can only REDEEM early once. Any proof other than hearsay that a new MPF account is not possible upon return?
    It was a while ago - but I have redeemed once, and been enrolled in a new scheme since then...
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,060

    Why not just leave it here? Retirement savings are important. MPF might not be the best vehicle in the world but still better than spending it.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    265

    Is there any penalty to withdrawing early, tax or otherwise? Also, I know that the MPF has fees that are quite high, but other than an immediate need of cash, why would anyone withdraw early? Wouldn't the long term gains of 30+ years eventually make up for the fees?


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Skierx:
    Is there any penalty to withdrawing early, tax or otherwise? Also, I know that the MPF has fees that are quite high, but other than an immediate need of cash, why would anyone withdraw early? Wouldn't the long term gains of 30+ years eventually make up for the fees?
    No tax concerns with MPF. Early withdrawal is only permitted under a few circumstances, e.g. leaving Hong Kong forever, terminal illness, total incapacity. It's not permitted on a 'whim' or a 'want'.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    104

    I am considering leaving MPF in place when I leave in a few months, because I am not sure that I won't return to work in HK in future.

    Question. Does MPF charge something like a monthly fee for looking after your money?
    Australian compulsory superannuation funds did, so it would be possible after a few years that you'd end up with a negative balance....


Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast