Like Tree9Likes

Reluctant to put out a moving sale.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Reluctant to put out a moving sale.

So we moved from India a couple of years ago, and we are looking to move back in a couple of months.

My employer funded the relo and paid for everything but my repatriation doesn't cover moving expenses. We brought some furniture from home (bad idea in hindsight), and we bought some in IKEA here. I've looked around in the forum here and have a feeling that the quotes from moving companies isn't something I can swallow. It appears I'll be able to buy all new stuff in India for the price of the move (really!), so I am looking at a potential moving sale which includes multiple classified listings here and on other sites.

Looking for some general advice on moving sales. My job requires my to travel a lot, and I won't have the time or energy to put everything up for sale and wait till everything is sold. Is there an option where any agency can come in, pick up everything we have (or want to leave behind), and pay us an agreed upon price for all things together?

Or is it wishful thinking?

Items include a LCD television, a home theatre system, and some furniture like couch, dining table, work desk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blryoda:
    Is there an option where any agency can come in, pick up everything we have (or want to leave behind), and pay us an agreed upon price for all things together?

Or is it wishful thinking?
    Yes.

List it in the classifieds at the right price (almost free) and it will all be gone very soon.
    100LL likes this.

It will go to market price, which we at presuming much lower than you expecting, if you wait longer, ie. May or June, even lower as expats start to move during this period

Yes I understand the selling price here will be much lower than market price (or purchase price) and I'm OK with that. We're moving in late June; I guess we'll end up lowering prices to compete in the market then

You already mentioned you can buy the stuff cheaper than the moving price.
    You also said you have no time and energy for sale.
    Why don't you just give it away? Less stress, faster gone.
    Or ask for voluntary donation to charity or something.

But be careful, last time I gave something away it seems some 'collectors' (I had a feeling their were collecting valuables for reselling) tried to get the things. They didn't even know what it was but wanted to have it. They asked strange questions. The people who called me were different than the people they "sent" to collect it. So I called BS and sent them home. Good call I believe, there was something fishy about them (it was some brand new identical Lenovo docking stations I had left over and I thought it's a good thing to give them to fellow Geoexpat users instead of having them collect dust until they are outdated...)

Last edited by 100LL; 19-03-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Or ask for voluntary donation to charity or something.
    Would love to give it away for charity. Will look around for Charity options.

Alternative is to have an open house

Let people in and take it for whatever price, get it all over and done with in a day.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Alternative is to have an open house

Let people in and take it for whatever price, get it all over and done with in a day.
    Would be called a "Garage Sale" in the unlikely case you had a garage. Would be called a "Yard Sale" in the impossible case you have a proper yard. I'd go with "Estate Sale."

Shoebox sale.

jimbo and misshappy26 like this.

Try giving crossroads a call. They may collect

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast