Like Tree31Likes

What to do with Phone Contract??

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Can you reduce your service plan to the cheapest possible package? Then you can keep paying it, still will sting but less than what you're being asked to pay upfront now.

I still find it incredible that they can force you to pay for something you're not capable of using, even if you show that your visa has expired or whatever. When I left the UK I had to pay the balance of what I owed for my phone and a one month penalty. It's not like a mobile network has allocated bandwidth specifically to one user. They aren't at a loss if someone cancels as far as the service goes.

The responses here are the reason HK is so crap for customer rights. "Oh well you shouldn't have signed it." It's easier to get out of the lease for my flat than to get out of my PCCW contracts. Ridiculous.
    Contract packages can only be upgraded, but cannot be downgraded...

Home contracts are generally fixed for 1st year and flexible from 2nd year onwards..so if you leave anytime on the 1st year, you still have to pay for remaining months..

If you own the phone and paid for it outright then why would you commit to a 24 month contract?

Buy the phone outright and get a 12 month sim only contract. You'll save a hell of a lot that way.

Rob2020 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    How are you being screwed by being held to a contract you voluntarily signed?

Agreed, consumer protection is non-existent in Hong Kong, but I don't think i could just walk away from a contract in Australia, The UK, the US or anywhere with developed consumer protection laws, or am I missing something?

Original Post Deleted
    Many contracts can simply have the clause saying that the contract can be cancelled if the service is not available where the consumer moves to. Fixed line ISPs should have this - but many do not at the consumer end of the deal.

Simple to say, this would apply to the consumer using a wireless contract also.

That clause would allow consumers who are leaving town to get away without paying the contract in full - perhaps with a cancellation charge which recovers installation / admin fees.

However, the problem is - you have to compensate for that phone you bought.

Have not seen any unlocking contracts which allow you to unlock your phone once you move, if the phone is not paid for. At the very least HK phone are not locked.

What's wrong with paying for the remaining months for the 1st year? OP signed the contract knowing the terms in advance.

To the OP, if you are not stable in HK then get a prepaid card. You made a choice and you're probably on here asking how to get our of your apartment lease. There is a discount associated with longer term agreements and OP wants both the discounted rate and benefits without the commitment. It really isn't fair.

I have a phone contract and my work provides a phone. So essentially I'm paying for something I don't need. But it's life, I left it on autopay.

Is there a way I can not pay my income taxes because I changed jobs? Or moved abroad. Where does it stop?

Man up.

Rob2020 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Unless things have changed in the last few years in the UK, the mobile operators there work the same way.

I had 8 months left of my mobile contract before I moved to the UK, I had to pay back the 8 months of charges for early cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Home contracts are generally fixed for 1st year and flexible from 2nd year onwards..so if you leave anytime on the 1st year, you still have to pay for remaining months..
    Yes I can break my flat lease at 12+2 months. Can't do that with PCCW. Hence my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Unless things have changed in the last few years in the UK, the mobile operators there work the same way.

I had 8 months left of my mobile contract before I moved to the UK, I had to pay back the 8 months of charges for early cancellation.
    I left last year and had to pay the balance of the phone and 1 month service charge. Had about a year left on the contract. UK a few years back had mobile operators split contracts into device and service portions so customers know what they owe for the phone vs. the service.
    TheBrit, Apjace and shannonwalsh like this.