Like Tree31Likes

What to do with Phone Contract??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy What to do with Phone Contract??

Hi
    My husband and I are stuck with a year left on both our phone contracts and after multiple calls and visits to the company, they are just saying we have to pay for the entire year at full cost -- it will be more than $10,000 HKD.

Any advice on how to get out of this?? It seems crazy to me that there is no way to cancel a contract. They also say we cannot transfer it to anyone else.

...Panicking in HK

MandM! likes this.

Yes you are responsible and that is what you agreed to.....

There is really very few other places that would penalise you like this for nothing, just to make money off your back. They don't allow you to pay a break contract fee, and the contracts are ridiculously long.

Sorry MandM!, I think it's pretty shitty to offer no recourse to someone who didn't get a job renewal or has a visa cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonwalsh
    There is really very few other places that would penalise you like this for nothing, just to make money off your back. They don't allow you to pay a break contract fee, and the contracts are ridiculously long.

Sorry MandM!, I think it's pretty shitty to offer no recourse to someone who didn't get a job renewal or has a visa cancelled.
    Sorry - but to be blunt, no one forced you to sign a contract.. there are pre-paid options available.
    emx and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Sorry - but to be blunt, no one forced you to sign a contract.. there are pre-paid options available.
    Actually, they said I could only get a 24 month contract when I went to the office.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Seems crazy to have a phone contract that costs $10,000 a year.

emx and Rob2020 like this.

Li K Shing owns mobile networks in the UK, and there they allow you to break a contract if you are relocating overseas. I did it and did not have to pay the full balance of my contract. So yes, although the OP did sign it, the fact that mobile networks in HK do not allow for any way to get out of a service that you will not and cannot use due to relocation, even for a charge, is indicative of the general lack of consumer protection here.

OP sorry I wish I had an answer for you.

shannonwalsh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Seems crazy to have a phone contract that costs $10,000 a year.
    $430 x 12 = $5,160 x 2

cancel credit card that is linked to autopay for the mobile bill and leave HK when u do.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonwalsh
    $430 x 12 = $5,160 x 2
    So it's a contract with two phones. That does change things.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast