Like Tree203Likes

Moving to the UK with HK wife

Reply
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    My mate who is a Brit and his HK wife moved back last year, it took them a year to get her visa processed, she did the 'Britishness' test and aced it but due to some reason they rejected her visa over some stupid TB test which they had it done in HK but wasnt accepted I think, anyways the re applied and it was finally approved, they spent like 3000 quid for the whole process.

    They went back with savings of around 80K quid, stayed at the parents house, the mrs tried to open a bank account and was so pissed off LOL. They will probably leave UK once she gets her Brit citizenship/passport. LOL
    Yeah, it's stories like this which are making us apprehensive about the application! Do you know if your friends just put down his parents' address without any 'evidence' (e.g. letters in his name) or what they included for that part? Thanks!

  2. #12

    Reading this as a Canadian, every post brings out a giant WTF!!

    dossier likes this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    660

    WTF? (Not Canadian)

    If you are British you can't just bring your wife?

    I read it twice and still think I must have misunderstood something.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    WTF? (Not Canadian)

    If you are British you can't just bring your wife?

    I read it twice and still think I must have misunderstood something.
    They've introduced financial tests. Teachers and people on average salaries are struggling to qualify with enough earnings to bring a foreign spouse home. Essentially only rich Brits can now marry non-citizens and return home.
    DirtyHairy likes this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    660

    That's disgusting!

    DrWho likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    TB test?
    https://www.gov.uk/tb-test-visa/overview
    TheBrit likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,342
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    They've introduced financial tests. Teachers and people on average salaries are struggling to qualify with enough earnings to bring a foreign spouse home. Essentially only rich Brits can now marry non-citizens and return home.
    Only people with non-EU spouses struggle. It's especially dire for people outside of London as the salary required is fairly easily obtained in London but harder in rural, less well off areas.

    It's a horrific policy - poorly designed and poorly executed. Theresa May at her worst. I am horrified as to what kind of dogs breakfast she will make out of Brexit.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Only people with non-EU spouses struggle. It's especially dire for people outside of London as the salary required is fairly easily obtained in London but harder in rural, less well off areas.
    EU may fall under this policy depending on how Brexit goes...

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,342
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    EU may fall under this policy depending on how Brexit goes...
    I think it is more likely to be the other way around - as the UK will be ball to control migration from the EU they won't need such devicise, regressive policies for spouses of British citizens. This policy was only introduced to help Cameron achieve his stupid immigration pledge.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    It's a horrific policy - poorly designed and poorly executed. Theresa May at her worst. I am horrified as to what kind of dogs breakfast she will make out of Brexit.
    I agree with you and I'm pro-Brexit...I said to people before Brexit, when they asked what I hoped for, I said I hope for a.) a landslide result for Brexit b.) a landslide result for Remain...

Reply
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast