Like Tree203Likes

Moving to the UK with HK wife

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I think you should be alright. You have big enough savings. You have been living together long enough and you have kids. If you are concerned about the job, why don't you start a UK limited company, put your money there and nominate yourself a director? You were planning to run a restaurant anyway - then you are not wasting anything at all!

Going through the same process now.

My wife holds a SG passport and HK ID and we'll be submitting the paperwork shortly.

savings is fine if you can't show your last 6 months of pay slips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    They've introduced financial tests. Teachers and people on average salaries are struggling to qualify with enough earnings to bring a foreign spouse home. Essentially only rich Brits can now marry non-citizens and return home.
    In general their intentions were good - stop all sorts of sham marriages for profit etc. As usual, a lot of innocent, but not very rich people got screwed in the process as well.

Reading through this is a bit of a wake up call for me. With the son hoping to go to Uni in the UK and both him and the Mrs being British Citizens, I had assumed it would be relatively easy for me to figure out long term options for the UK, now that the EU option is not seems to be shutting down.

Thanks KS for the brticits link. Looks like good weekend reading.

chuckster007 likes this.

Myself and the Kid have British Passports but the Mrs is a HK local, might just have to dump her and go to the UK, probably easier Waahaahaaa LOL

shri, civil_servant, Mat and 2 others like this.

chuckster007 likes this.

Their response to me on this was that they were not stopping my right to a family life - we could always live together abroad. The fact that my job was in the UK and that was the family's only means of support didn't count.

Given the hardline on Brexit that is emerging I wonder what will happen with the foreign spouse rules. The must be a significant number of British married to Europeans and living in the EU. As it appears they will be required to have a visa to continue living in an EU state, which many retired people won't qualify for on financial or language, and the value of their pension is crashing so they can't afford to live outside the UK, what is going to happen when they try to bring their European spouses back to the UK? If the rules remain in place there could be thousands left in limbo.

shri, hullexile and dossier like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Considering what has been happening so far, the odds are stacked against sensible.
    DrWho and dossier like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Stubborn ass on one side and a bunch of stubborn goats on the other.

Sensible compromise be damned - mutual destruction of wealth is the order of the day.
    DrWho likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast