Like Tree203Likes

Moving to the UK with HK wife

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Reading through this is a bit of a wake up call for me. With the son hoping to go to Uni in the UK and both him and the Mrs being British Citizens, I had assumed it would be relatively easy for me to figure out long term options for the UK, now that the EU option is not seems to be shutting down.

Thanks KS for the brticits link. Looks like good weekend reading.
    it's OK - the UK better neighbor France will welcome you
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    it's OK - the UK better neighbor France will welcome you
    If EU is the way to go ... paella trumps coq au vin.
    Mat, kimwy66, chuckster007 and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I thought one of the points of brexit was to treat people of all countries equally when it comes to immigration. Should be no relative disadvantage for non - EU coming to the UK.

Terrible news.

Actually, the whole Falklands War Veteran, committed Christian, etc, should irrelevant. This is a British man, his wife of many years...they have children together who are British...that should be enough.
    DrWho, Ern, chingleutsch and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nihaobitches:
    Yeah, it's stories like this which are making us apprehensive about the application! Do you know if your friends just put down his parents' address without any 'evidence' (e.g. letters in his name) or what they included for that part? Thanks!
    reply from my mate "Used parents add... Had to send in loads of proof of ownership so the original deeds for the house and a letter of consent signed by both Ma and Pa giving us permission to stay there"
    TheBrit, shri and nihaobitches like this.

Yeah I've been married for 7 years to my HK wife. I'm British and we have a 6 year old daughter. We have looked into the British thing and given up on the idea. If we want to be closer to my family, maybe we will move to somewhere in Europe that doesn't treat us with contempt.

It has also affected our ventures into the property market. I had intended to buy in the UK but now we are put off that idea too and looking elsewhere. Well done British government on alienating your citizens.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah, a few more years (maybe months???) and buying in London will be within reach of any HK student

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    reply from my mate "Used parents add... Had to send in loads of proof of ownership so the original deeds for the house and a letter of consent signed by both Ma and Pa giving us permission to stay there"
    Cheers, mate!

I have another question about meeting the financial requirement, if any can help! We plan on meeting the financial requirement with cash savings, but my wife thinks that we can just use the value of our shares, without liquidating anything. I checked the website/notes and it just says:

If income has been earned from investments, shares and/or stocks in the 12 months
    prior to the date of application and the relevant asset was then sold, we will consider it to
    be held at the date of application and that income may be counted towards the financial
    requirement, provided that investments, shares and/or stocks of an equivalent volume
    have since been purchased in the same company and are held at the date of
    application.

My wife reckons 'income' can mean the value of the shares we own, whereas I think it means dividends etc. I emailed them asking for clarification and they said to just check the guidance notes/website.

Does anyone have any experience of meeting the financial requirement with cash or shares? Any (more) help would be greatly appreciated! Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    That's disgusting!
    Should give you a quick and helpful summary (for those not familiar with this issue):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYyeDoa1Ah8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-arGCbhVmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsGJlXEGNk
    Last edited by dossier; 12-10-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast