Like Tree203Likes

Moving to the UK with HK wife

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    My family is in a similar situation to many here. The UK is nice for a long summer holiday but unless they radically change their immigration rules, that's all it's good for in my opinion. I wouldn't want to earn GBP anyway.
    The whole process is costing me $25k which includes all relevant fees to government etc.

Not cheap by a long shot

But I'm happier in UK so no choice lol
    Skyhook and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    The whole process is costing me $25k which includes all relevant fees to government etc.

Not cheap by a long shot

But I'm happier in UK so no choice lol
    I'll be in London in August. I'll buy you a round in wetherspoons
    dossier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Is there actually any reason at all that UK (England & Wales) Marriage Certificate is better than an HKSAR Marriage Certificate?

If anything, I guess the fact that the HKSAR Marriage Certificate is bilingual makes it more usable in English & Chinese language countries.
    You can always get a certified copy of a translation of any marriage certificate anyway. The British embassy in Tokyo did mine, nice wax stamps and all.

I'm surprised HK is on the list of required TB testing countries, frankly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Just another $$$ scheme
    Since you can only get them from 'approved' centres.
    I'm sure somebody is getting a cut from somewhere
    Looking at this - 4000+ cases in 2016. Second to Chickenpox in terms of notifiable infectious diseases.

Centre for Health Protection - Number of notifiable infectious diseases in 2016

Had heard earlier from another parent that they had a TB infection reported in their school earlier this week.
    chuckster007 and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looking at this - 4000+ cases in 2016. Second to Chickenpox in terms of notifiable infectious diseases.

Centre for Health Protection - Number of notifiable infectious diseases in 2016

Had heard earlier from another parent that they had a TB infection reported in their school earlier this week.
    Seriously? Don't they vaccinate?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Really not sure what the protocols / effectiveness of the vaccines are. Had always just assumed this was a "third world problem" until I heard about this case and looked up the stats.
    dossier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Apparently the child has been vaccinated. The shot is given at birth

Yeah, BCG shot is typically administered to newborns here. All of mine had it in the hospital they were born in.

Holy Shit, that list is scary with some of the figures, some diseases I've never even heard off

Somehow I suspect HK is more at risk of importing TB From the UK, rather than vice versa!
    in 2014 there were 6,520 cases of TB in UK and 4,705 cases in Hong Kong. Therefore the incidence rate in HK is almost 10 times that of the UK.
    TheBrit, dossier and hullexile like this.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast