Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

MPF withdrawing

MPF withdrawing

I'm going to live in the other country for 1 year or longer and I want to withdraw my MPF to cover the cost of travel and living there. I'm a Permanent Resident here. The MPF company gave me a document to sign that states that I plan to leave HK and will not come back, I need to have this document notarized and it will go to immigration office. Will I lose my Permanent Residency if I withdraw my MPF?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosacea
    I'm going to live in the other country for 1 year or longer and I want to withdraw my MPF to cover the cost of travel and living there. I'm a Permanent Resident here. The MPF company gave me a document to sign that states that I plan to leave HK and will not come back, I need to have this document notarized and it will go to immigration office. Will I lose my Permanent Residency if I withdraw my MPF?
    No you won't, they're not linked.

Send in the paperwork sooner rather than later as mine took 3 months to process through AIA.

The other country your moving to, are you immigrating there and have permission to live / resident of that country etc or going there on like a working holiday as MPF wont let you take your own money if your not going there permanently.

A friend of mine (HK SAR passport holding resident) married to a UK resident wasnt allowed to take her money even though they were moving to UK as she didnt have the residency yet in the UK.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    The other country your moving to, are you immigrating there and have permission to live / resident of that country etc or going there on like a working holiday as MPF wont let you take your own money if your not going there permanently.

A friend of mine (HK SAR passport holding resident) married to a UK resident wasnt allowed to take her money even though they were moving to UK as she didnt have the residency yet in the UK.
    I plan to tell them that I'm going back to my homecountry but I will actually fly to a different country to stay there for a year. Will that get me in trouble?
    avengedsevenfold likes this.

I plan to tell them that I'm going back to my homecountry but I will actually fly to a different country to stay there for a year. Will that get me in trouble?
    If you hold another passport (other than HKSAR) then it shouldn't be a problem.
    chuckster007 likes this.

question about the statutory declaration - is this a simple fill in and sign, or does it need to follow the below from HSBC's website:
    "In Hong Kong, the statutory declaration must be made before and signed by a Commissioner for Oath at either the Public Enquiry Service Centre of the Home Affairs Department, a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace."

How would I actually go about making the declaration before a Commissioner for Oath? Would appreciate advice/tips/stories from people who've gone through this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rsndl
    question about the statutory declaration - is this a simple fill in and sign, or does it need to follow the below from HSBC's website:
    "In Hong Kong, the statutory declaration must be made before and signed by a Commissioner for Oath at either the Public Enquiry Service Centre of the Home Affairs Department, a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace."

How would I actually go about making the declaration before a Commissioner for Oath? Would appreciate advice/tips/stories from people who've gone through this. Thanks.
    You book an appointment with the commissioner.
    Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment and give them the paperwork.

You swear An oath and they sign and stamp it.
    And that's it then you send it off to your mpf provider
    rsndl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rsndl

It is very easy, and free. I've done it several times. Book online, show up, sign and get a stamp. Half an hour tops.
    rsndl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    You book an appointment with the commissioner.
    Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment and give them the paperwork.

You swear An oath and they sign and stamp it.
    And that's it then you send it off to your mpf provider
    Great info! Thanks. I thought I needed to fork over a few $k for the notary.

Are you then taxed on the total amount of your MPF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast