Like Tree25Likes

Leaving HK without paying remainder of Wifi bill. is it possible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leaving HK without paying remainder of Wifi bill. is it possible?

Hey,

So i am leaving HK soon and will still have around 12 months left on my wifi contract. I will be moving back home permanently, not returning to HK, and shutting down my HK bank account. Of course I will pay it BUT hypothetically, asking for a friend, etc etc, do you think they would be able to do anything about it if I didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by anonwaltz:
    do you think they would be able to do anything about it if I didn't?
    No they wont be able to do anything about it LOL

close down the autopaying credit card or bank account if its set up like that.

No they can't and they won't, it's not a criminal offense. I know plenty of people who do this, even though some providers are more lenient if you can prove you are moving abroad...they will cancel the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by anonwaltz:
    Hey,

So i am leaving HK soon and will still have around 12 months left on my wifi contract. I will be moving back home permanently, not returning to HK, and shutting down my HK bank account. Of course I will pay it BUT hypothetically, asking for a friend, etc etc, do you think they would be able to do anything about it if I didn't?
    Then why ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Then why ask?
    Because for some reason he thinks immigration will stop him for an unpaid internet bill. Either a dumb friend told him that or he's very naive.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Because for some reason he thinks immigration will stop him for an unpaid internet bill. Either a dumb friend told him that or he's very naive.
    But if, as he says, pays the bill, there would be no concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:

close down the autopaying credit card or bank account if its set up like that.
    It's called the Hong Kong Goodbye.
    MandM!, chuckster007 and tagore like this.

Of course you can do it, no worry of penalties...unless the unthinkable happens and one day you find yourself back in Hong Kong. Then you will not be able to get a bank account easily, no credit card, for sure no mortgage, and even if you pay then it takes 5 years for the record to be removed. Never burn your bridges is my life advice, you never know what lies in the future.

It was a very common thing to do among English teachers who left Taiwan. One day they cracked down and required all newcomers to have a Taiwanese guarantor when signing up, which isn't easy when you're new to a country. In the end honest people had to suffer the consequences due to the lack of honesty of others.

Consumer protection doesn't exist in Hong Kong, we all know who control major business and all contracts are against the consumer.

A service provider can stop/curtail their services even after a contract, but as a consumer, you can not escape.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast