Like Tree22Likes

Leaving HK - things you missed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Leaving HK - things you missed

Now that my wife's visa is sorted, preparations are in full swing for our move to the UK. We have most of the big things (accommodation/schooling etc) covered(ish) (I hope) and I'm curious to hear from people who have gone through a move after living here for a while - what things did you miss or wish you'd sorted out but forgot to or didn't even realize was a thing to sort out until you were back.

I've lived away from the UK since I was 18 and have moved several times, but always as a single guy - all I ever did was back my one bag and bugger off. This is my first 'grown-up' move with wife and kids; the whole shebang!

Any thoughts/anecdotes/advice most welcome!

Good luck with it.

For me the biggest shocker was Finding that some shops shut at 5pm when I'm used to 10pm or later in HK.

London isn't so bad but no air con and no mobile signal is something I'm only just getting used to.

Central line this week was horrific what with the heat wave etc.

Also if you need to open bank accounts etc then you can't just go into the branch and open one there and then like you could in HK.
    I had to book an appointment at least a week in advance to see somebody, Even adding another name to an account you need to book.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Good luck with it.

For me the biggest shocker was Finding that some shops shut at 5pm when I'm used to 10pm or later in HK.

London isn't so bad but no air con and no mobile signal is something I'm only just getting used to.

Also if you need to open bank accounts etc then you can't just go into the branch and open one there and then like you could in HK.
    I had to book an appointment at least a week in advance to see somebody, Even adding another name to an account you need to book.
    I was going to ask - If you do not have address proof, how do you open a bank account? Are there any other way around it?

Quote Originally Posted by avengedsevenfold:
    I was going to ask - If you do not have address proof, how do you open a bank account? Are there any other way around it?
    I kept my uk bank accounts open whilst I was in HK so I was ok.

Otherwise you'll have to wait till you get utility bills and council tax bills in your name.

Not just England, but most non-Asian places - needing bus and train timetables again. And the price of public transport!
    And needing to unload everything from my shopping basket at the supermarket instead of just putting the whole thing onto the counter or belt.

Curious why you would need to get a local PM involved, would normal process work? I am starting my exit towards the end of the year.

I asked my local MP as we paid the 600 quid for the express service (10 working days) but still had no news about the application after 20 working days.

My MP is good at working for his constituents and as an MP he's able to contact the Home Office and UKVI to enquire/cajole on his constituents' behalf - I don't know if his involvement made a difference, but we got the visa quite quickly after he contacted UKVI and we know of couples who applied earlier than us, with similar applications, who are still waiting.

WMDS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Good luck with it.

My wife opened a bank account there and then (though the first one we tried refused because she was from the Philippines and the second one said the manager was on holiday).

My biggest headache was state schools but you said you had schooling covered.

Covered-ish; what problems did you have? We've submitted the application to the council with our preferred schools (which seem to have places) and they said, over the phone, that they'd accept our accommodation situation (not being able to provide actual proof as we're not in the country, but having a place lined up)

Good luck! You will miss the low taxes I guess

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast