Leaving Hong Kong, employer won't give back withheld salary

Leaving Hong Kong, employer won't give back withheld salary

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.
    I have a 12 month contract with my job. This was due to finish on August 17th. However, due to a family member's health rapidly declining, I am having to leave on Sunday if I want any chance of seeing her again.
    I have been told that this is a breach of contract, and therefore my employer will not be paying the first month salary they retained when I started. I was told this is for tax purposes.
    HOWEVER
    I have paid my tax, I have a clearance letter, which they have received. Is there anything I can do in the short time I have left here to recoup this money? It seems the letter I got from the IRS orders them to pay it to me, can I force their hand?
    Thanks!

Note: This is not legal advice

They aren't supposed to withhold your first month's salary, but they could say that it is "payment in lieu of notice" - It all depends on what your contract says.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonySmithit
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.
    I have a 12 month contract with my job. This was due to finish on August 17th. However, due to a family member's health rapidly declining, I am having to leave on Sunday if I want any chance of seeing her again.
    I have been told that this is a breach of contract, and therefore my employer will not be paying the first month salary they retained when I started. I was told this is for tax purposes.
    HOWEVER
    I have paid my tax, I have a clearance letter, which they have received. Is there anything I can do in the short time I have left here to recoup this money? It seems the letter I got from the IRS orders them to pay it to me, can I force their hand?
    Thanks!
    Whats the notice period for resignation mentioned on the contract? If its 1 month and you dont give the required notice time, they will withhold 1 month salary as payment in lieu of notice.

Normally company withold last months salary towards tax payment. Once you got clearence they will issue the last month salary.

They can take my last payment in leui of notice, that's fine, but I do have tax clearance now. So the letter from the tax office says I am owed it back.

Did they pay your the last month salary? You got tax cleared. How about the notice period as per contractual obligations?

Legally they cant withhold 1st month salary. You are required to be paid within 7 days of 1st month. If not you can surely contest it at labour dept. Its better you goto labour dept with all your proof and consult them on what actions can be taken!

I haven't been paid my last month's salary, as the month isn't up yet. I don't think for a second I'll get it. But they took my first month, for tax reasons, as stated on my final tax form. I have paid my tax, and given them the letter confirming this, so surely I'm due that first month back?

Quote Originally Posted by LemonySmithit
    I haven't been paid my last month's salary, as the month isn't up yet. I don't think for a second I'll get it. But they took my first month, for tax reasons, as stated on my final tax form. I have paid my tax, and given them the letter confirming this, so surely I'm due that first month back?
    You should be paid the first month and last months pro rata salary.

You should pay back charges in lieu of notice, back pay any holiday pay etc...

Did they mention anywhere about withholding 1st month pay? Do you get payment advice/slip when your salary credited every month?

Goto the labour department in person.

So are you moving back home or going to see a relative for a short period?

Also we don't know your notice period.

You can't force anyone to do anything. If you're leaving hk for good then you might have problems getting the money. However try to collect proof of your situation and you can urge an investigation and do this while outside of Hk. For claiming your salary you need to go to court in person.

Also we still don't know what your contract says. Any penalties or payment owed for quitting?