• 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 2 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 2 Post By GeoTommy

The Happy Jellyfish is leaving HK.

Closed Thread

The Happy Jellyfish is leaving HK.

https://lantaunews.com/2018/01/25/th...e-era-is-over/
    Skyhook, shafiq, jw1701 and 5 others like this.

The cross-dressing banjo-playing Cantonese era is over

The uglification of Hong Kong and destruction of Lantau is the main reason. I can’t live among skyscrapers, concrete and fencing anymore.”
    Fun Fact: @jgl — looks like you had shared a cab with her about a decade ago.

I met her once too - we rented her flat in Pui O as an AirBnB. It was a strange flat and a strange lady - but anyone who learned Cantonese from her (and I know a few who did) said she was very effective!

Nimitz likes this.

A real character, very nice lady and so funny to listen to. Us former and current South Lantau residents consider that to be one nail into the coffin that was a part of Hong Kong quirks and culture. I loved reading her column in the Sunday SCMP - maybe truth began to give Beijing a sore backside?? Love Cecilie's humour and she doesn't mince words. Too bad I never managed to make it to one of her communal home cooked dinners with all the beer one could drink ( even if I am not a beer drinker..) to oil the jaw bones.

South Lantau Icon has left the building. Met Cecilie a few times and found her funny, dry in the Norwegian way, but interesting lady to chat with. I do like eccentrics, but in reality, Cecilie was not really eccentric and had experienced life in HK and China beyond a bit more than the average tourist. I read her book, " Don't Laugh On the Stairs" a few years back an it resonated with my travels through China. Heard mixed reviews about her cooking, though...never got the chance to experience it, or a shopping trip to Shenzhen ( did plenty on my own.) .

Skyhook and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:

Fun Fact: @jgl — looks like you had shared a cab with her about a decade ago.
    That's hilarious! Quite rude!

I was fortunate enough to go to one of her dinners and really loved it. Pity to have her leaving, as I think Lantau and Hong Kong can use advocates like her now more than ever.

The nail in the coffin would be Bill Yim leaving HK.

You can still download the Naked Cantonese podcasts from RTHK3...

Podcasts: Naked Cantonese

shri likes this.