Like Tree26Likes

Move to Canada or stay in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Move to Canada or stay in HK

Hey all,

Can someone please point out merit and demerits for moving to Canada ? I have been in HK for 7 years and now considering to move to canada in couple years. I hold a Master degree and have been working as Engineer in HK for around 5 years but for growth in my field I feel I need to be fluent in cantonese to be promoted to Manager. another reason is the expensive housing as 40% of my pay is going for flat rent which I feel is not value for money as what I am getting in that money is very small. the primary reason would be working opportunity for my wife as she is a Doctor though currently she is not working, she just completed her education and moved to HK but her chances of workin in HK without spoken cantonese are quite low and she has to pass HK license exam too before that.

So we are thinking to move but not sure if it's a good idea as we haven't lived in Canada or Australia while the life in HK I have been enjoying. Which city can offer better prospects for career as well as for starting a family ?

Should I consider moving to Australia instead ?

Thanks

Do you like winter?

Where are you from?

shri and Morrison like this.

Canada hands down!!!! Especially as you and your wife want to start a family in the future it’s a no brainer. Get out of here as soon as you can.

I'd put Canada above Australia simply because i's less isolated overall. You are close to the US/Central America and not that far from Europe.Also less taxes and overall more to do I would think.As for why these two countries instead of HK...not clue...that's totally up to you and your desired life.

z754103 and lanieallado like this.

Where is your wife certified as a doctor? Would seem like a good choice for relocation..

shri and lanieallado like this.

The country is big. Where in Canada? Vancouver is not the same as Regina.

Do you have visas/passports to live in these countries?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

From what I read property in some of Canada's cities is also very expensive nowadays. Research property prices vs anticipated income in the potential destinations before deciding.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    From what I read property in some of Canada's cities is also very expensive nowadays. Research property prices vs anticipated income in the potential destinations before deciding.
    Probably still not as expensive as HK! Or for the same price as what you are paying in HK you will get probably four times the size.

But obviously other costs involved, such as you may need a car, higher taxes, colder weather, etc etc.

Pros and cons for everywhere really.

Also, hopefully the OP will actually respond to the various questions, have you visited Canada or Australia?
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast