Like Tree17Likes

Advice needed: <snip> smashed every item in my shipment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by athomeinhk:
    Unfortunately they said there is no insurance despite there being a line item for insurance on my invoice.
    That is very unfortunate, i'd have paid for some form of insurance for sure. You better dispute it with them, and check your shipping agreement to see the choice of law and whether you can bring an action in the small claims tribunal in HK if amount less than $50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I've not met a shipping company who will ship without marine transit insurance (for reasons like this), it just depends on the rate charged and how the shipper estimates the value of the goods.
    Yeah I thought I had insurance too given it's on the invoice.... (whereas it was not on the invoices from other companies unless separately requested)

I should have read it more carefully.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

How do I look up the owner's name or contact? The service officer is refusing to provide me with the information required to file a small claims tribunal claim against them.

In reality I'm hoping the owner of <snip> will a lot more understanding than the service officer. Maybe a simple call with the owner can resolve this before even heading to legal means. Unfortunately they will not put me through.

Last edited by shri; 27-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Google? Also, who is the owner of the domain, assuming they have a web site? There are also business directories etc, depends on the country.

Quote Originally Posted by athomeinhk:
    How do I look up the owner's name or contact? The service officer is refusing to provide me with the information required to file a small claims tribunal claim against them.

In reality I'm hoping the owner of <snip> will a lot more understanding than the service officer. Maybe a simple call with the owner can resolve this before even heading to legal means. Unfortunately they will not put me through.
    I have sent you the contact.
    Last edited by shri; 27-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    jgl and juanalias like this.

Aaaaah I see who it is now and am not too surprised.

You would have signed a contract or service agreement and they would state the insurance cover.

Just looked at the contract of a recent move and the transit insurance options are fixed yes and the only deviation is "All risk insurance is declined, only total loss insurance applies".

If you had it included in the invoice, was there a specific opt out option offered which you accepted? And if on the invoice (not the quotation but the actual invoice) then you have paid for something.

shri likes this.

Having handled a lot of mobility cases into and out of Hong Kong, from and to US/Asia/Europe, the one thing I recommend is that whoever you use, they are not subcontracting locally for destinations outside their base if a Hong Kong company. The best service is provided by the shipping companies who have their own offices internationally. That way ownership of service and goods is seamless from packing at origin to unpacking at destination.

The only issues I have ever had is when a shipping company contracts out part of the work. The large international companies do cost a bit more but are worth every penny, in my opinion.

Photos, videos, police a few times. Get everything documented.

https://www.icris.cr.gov.hk/csci/

Can search the company registered address and director and start a lawsuit against both. If you worked with the director particularly try to sue them to held them personally liable (not likely to win but the more problems you cause to them the faster they will settle). Small claims is easy (so I've heard, I never experienced it myself) but you can only sue for HK$50,000. You can do it without a lawyer but should learn some legal terms, and defend any BS mentioned in court by the defence. Failure to respond to one tidbit of information will be used against you when quantifying settlement.

You should quantify your losses as well to make it easier. Receipts or get report done by an appraiser or whatever you call those people.

Also inform the media to give bad PR to this company. I would send court docs, photos, videos and email communication to all media agency + the company + company admin/sales emails + company directors. You can also CC any companies that this company is known to work with to notify HR and MD's/C-level staff of their poor service. Make sure your photos and videos are clear and concise.

Have put the OP in touch with the company. Lets see how this turns out.

Shutting this one down before someone suggests that the movers need to line up and perform seppuku.

@athomeinhk - let me know how it goes and perhaps we can post a conclusion here.