Like Tree23Likes

Thinking of Leaving HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Original Post Deleted
    There is. Right of abode and right to land is different. Go google it.

Original Post Deleted
    Nothing to do with kids or adults. Once you have PR, you are entitled to work and live freely in HK for the rest of your life even if you leave HK for longer than 3 years, you can freely come back. This is RTL. The only reason to touch down every 3 years is if you want ROA rather than RTL, and there are only 3 benefits of ROA over RTL that I know of:
    - You can vote
    - You cannot be deported if you commit a serious crime. You get thrown in jail for life instead
    - You can save stamp duty buying your first property
    juanalias, shri, orel100x and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Nothing to do with kids or adults. Once you have PR, you are entitled to work and live freely in HK for the rest of your life even if you leave HK for longer than 3 years, you can freely come back. This is RTL. The only reason to touch down every 3 years is if you want ROA rather than RTL, and there are only 3 benefits of ROA over RTL that I know of:
    - You can vote
    - You cannot be deported if you commit a serious crime. You get thrown in jail for life instead
    - You can save stamp duty buying your first property
    Potential freebies like the $6000 given a few years back.
    Only permanent holders got those

Quote Originally Posted by MSD_HK:
    I completely understand your predicament like, I suspect, many parents on the forum.

We are in the same position of whether to stay or leave, especially since Hong Kong is the only place that the kids have known as home. We are waiting long enough for them to become mostly proficient in Cantonese since their mother is British-born Chinese and we want them to speak their grandparents language well enough.

In terms of the best time to leave, I have spoke at length with locals about schooling and life as a kid here and most people say leave before Primary 3 since this is when the serious drilling begins. Yet, there are things like the
    Precisely. We are stretching it to P5 and then off to Singers and the international schools there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    Precisely. We are stretching it to P5 and then off to Singers and the international schools there.
    That was my original plan, to get to gov P4-P6 main because we wanted her to have a good level of chinese but recently, we had a rethink and believe it might be better to avoid Primary altogether. The stress and lack of fulfillment of living in HK for a family.

My wife is HK chinese so she can help to teach the kid.Also we plan to have her take chinese lesson back in UK.
    Skyhook and Mrs. Jones like this.