65 33.85%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

22 11.46%
Like Tree460Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Soul is what HK Is missing
    The government has made very sure of that!!! Soul might mean "violence" and people imagining an independent Hong Kong. Better replace people on the streets with more cars and pollution. If ever humans were living in anthills, working long hours every day for the greater good of property developers, it's Hong Kong. What the f*** are Hong Kong people living for?! I'm continually sickened to see how the money is just handed over to the richest (New World, Henderson, Hang Lung, Sino Group, etc.), with no imagination or consideration of more immediate solutions for the betterment of all life in Hong Kong. With the kind of money they have there is no excuse. But with a growing upper and middle class in China, there is an endless supply of money to keep feeding the monster. What a sterile place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    The government has made very sure of that!!! Soul might mean "violence" and people imagining an independent Hong Kong. Better replace people on the streets with more cars and pollution. If ever humans were living in anthills, working long hours every day for the greater good of property developers, it's Hong Kong. What the f*** are Hong Kong people living for?! I'm continually sickened to see how the money is just handed over to the richest (New World, Henderson, Hang Lung, Sino Group, etc.), with no imagination or consideration of more immediate solutions for the betterment of all life in Hong Kong. With the kind of money they have there is no excuse. But with a growing upper and middle class in China, there is an endless supply of money to keep feeding the monster. What a sterile place to live.
    I hear this a lot but this statement doesnt make much sense. Half the people here live in public housing or government ownership scheme. So how much land is allotted to the needy? Half? There is public housing on the most valuable real estate sites in the world like Stanley. If the government is so malicious as you say then we would have Mumbai slums, gentrified YMT and land use would be purely unregulated.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I left after six years. If you have no intention of making HK home why wait for PR?
    Because it gives you options. Options have value.
    Cwbguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    But it is an option I know I would never take up so its value is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    I don't know why but I see some analogy between a journalist being refused a visa and a foreigner on geoexpat being dealt with a heavy handed approach for sharing his views.
    I see it too. One clown was responsible for organising a well moderated and presumably a high quality discussion within a peer audience. Another clown was ranting about taxi fares.

Quite frankly, it is scary how similar the two situations are.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I think a different scale but you are possible correct people have not been very nice to someone who only showed bombastic naivety.
    I would have found some other way to describe Mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I left after six years. If you have no intention of making HK home why wait for PR?
    You mean making CHINA home! Certainly not on most peoples wishlist I reckon......
    Skyhook and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Well I hope long term it will be an option. I know I am beginning to wonder how much value it will really have in the next 10, 20, 30 years. For me, Hong Kong has better and cheaper health care than my home country and some potential better opportunities in terms of jobs and income. And I feel safer here (no need to be afraid of guns or rape). Need to keep that door open in case I need it in the future (if there is a future).

As far as I can see, HK is not headed anywhere good in the near to long term future. Unless you enjoy living in an overpriced suburb of Shenzen. I will finish my current work contract and be off... I do still love HK (especially my friends here) but it's quite depressing watching its transformation.

When people get nostalgic about the good old day they are referring to the golden age of HK cinema of the 70s and 80s. Back then HK had a thriving industrial sector and only 5 million people. By the 90s when I arrived HK had 6 million people. Now 20 years later we have nearly 8 million people. In any narrative about the so called decline of HK no one brings up this elephant in the room. HK has too many people, placing demands on everything. Yet any limits on population growth is never discussed? Why? Taboo subject? What is the statistics on monthly immigrant arrivals to HK? Thousands?

Mrs. Jones and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    In any narrative about the so called decline of HK no one brings up this elephant in the room. HK has too many people, placing demands on everything. Yet any limits on population growth is never discussed? Why? Taboo subject?
    It has been discussed gazillion times in local media/forum/radio/TV, HK doesn't have much population growth per se, whatever growth you have seen in last decade or so is from one-way permit holders which is not in HK's control.. So any discussion on population growth policy is futile..

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast