• No plan at the moment

49 36.30%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

16 11.85%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18
Like Tree366Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    It has been discussed gazillion times in local media/forum/radio/TV, HK doesn't have much population growth per se, whatever growth you have seen in last decade or so is from one-way permit holders which is not in HK's control.. So any discussion on population growth policy is futile..
    The one-way permit system contains population growth. Look at Shenzhen. From fishing village to giant Metropolis. Guangzhou has also had tremendous growth. Urbanization has been tremendous all across China and has placed big pressure on services and infrastructure. It's not unique to Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I see it too. One clown was responsible for organising a well moderated and presumably a high quality discussion within a peer audience. Another clown was ranting about taxi fares.

Quite frankly, it is scary how similar the two situations are.

I would have found some other way to describe Mallet.
    sorry Shri, but a very feeble attempt at expressing sarcasm. There are many modern aspects to bigotry, but that's fine we all have had our share in some ways.

As far as I can recall, the guy was possibly overwhelmed with culture shock and found this forum to vent. No matter how much research you do beforehand, it is the curiosity of human nature that prevails. In fact, many of us probably have been here long enough to have forgotten how they genuinely felt about the changes in the past, or even now, perhaps they've become numb.

Personally, I do not put anyone on a pedestal just because they are a 'high- flying' journalist (nothing more as he just organised the talk and himself claimed he had nothing else to do with it) and blatantly disregard another person's views.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with some of the comments made about Aussies in general (I'm not an Aussie) degrading someone by calling them names like bogans etc is completely uncalled for, at least on this forum where participants supposedly exhibit some degree of intellect. Further, in my opinion, a heavy handed approach was adopted when a couple of his threads were closed where he had made some legitimate points. This is the analogy, though different scale in your books not mine, I was referring about when a journalist upholding freedom of speech was rejected visa and the guy expressing his views here was given a cold shoulder.
    Last edited by Jaz Paul; 12-10-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

I do not understand why people who are from overseas stay in a place that they do not like. The sooner these people leave, the fewer people there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette J W
    I do not understand why people who are from overseas stay in a place that they do not like. The sooner these people leave, the fewer people there will be.
    Money

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    We are leaving next year. HK is full of bad vibes. There is too much hatred for mainlanders, foreign helpers, etc, when the Hongkers themselves are worse in my eyes. At least in the mainland I see people giving up their seats on buses and the metro.
    Exactly my observation having lived in China and now in Hong Kong. (and leaving next year too)
    MerMer likes this.

All this talk of bad vibes is quite interesting but I do not think some people on this forum should be so negative about Hong Kong or its people. If you hate Hong Kong and you have the financial means, you can just leave. It might be better for you.

Someone mentioned people often stay here for money. Well if they are the ones moaning, it just reinforces the adage that money does not buy happiness!!

There are good and bad people everywhere.

I have seen Hong Kong people giving up their seats on the MTR and traffic trying to let ambulances and fire engines get through in congested streets. I have also witnessed injustice and stepped up to say so.

However, I have never witnessed young Hong Kong men attacking people for no reason but I certainly have seen British young men attacking people for no reason in Britain.

There are advantages and disadvantages to most things and places. I feel privileged to live in Hong Kong and I can go home to England whenever I want.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Look at Shenzhen. From fishing village to giant Metropolis.
    The sliding photo in this Graun article taken from Crest Hill over Lo Wu shows this in a way most people just don't comprehend.
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ow-photographs

Now, I wonder what possibly could have caused Deng to decide to make that wetland the first Economic Zone in China.....
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul
    Further, in my opinion, a heavy handed approach was adopted when a couple of his threads were closed where he had made some legitimate points.
    Like the point about how Australia has “regulated scaffolding” and Hong Kong has “Bamboo scaffolding” which are “unsafe and outdated” and, therefore, “health and safety standards here are unbelievable.” For example, there’s a “the complete lack of hard hat, steel cap boots, gloves etc…” on the worksite.

A 21 year old proud Australian comes to a city with the most high-rise buildings in the world and complains about the lack of regulation on scaffolding and construction, in general.

Yes, he should not be called a “bogan”, because, he claims to be an Aussie, but we do not know for sure.
    jimbo likes this.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18