• No plan at the moment

73 33.80%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

27 12.50%
Like Tree539Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    There aren’t really any reasons to leave if you are young and single and career focused. HK is one of the most convenient and rewarding place to live in the world right now. Recent events have not changed things and companies don’t plan to outsource anything in the medium term (if they do it will be Shanghai for most so there is no realistic pull out of China scenario no matter what you hear in the news).
    With the recent barrage of news of companies intending to leave Hong Kong, I'm not so sure about that. Also, alternatives for HK will never be Shanghai as most companies come here for the rule of law, free environment and tax breaks anyway, none of these can be found in current era Shanghai.
    Coolboy, Insomnia, sunyhk and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I left 11th January, 6 months to the day before you . Started planning even before last years extradition protests. Yes I think we timed it nicely, but if its a competition then I think I win, at least with kids anyway since my kids have been able to physically attend school largely undisturbed this whole year here in Perth, vs an almost complete write off at their old international school in HK.
    No, not a competition, but if it was I win as we have just retired! Completely flexible on when to return to UK. Just enjoying travel, freedom and no responsibilities at the moment!

shri and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    With the recent barrage of news of companies intending to leave Hong Kong, I'm not so sure about that. Also, alternatives for HK will never be Shanghai as most companies come here for the rule of law, free environment and tax breaks anyway, none of these can be found in current era Shanghai.
    A lot of them are here for the access to the CN market so where will they go if not Shanghai? Well they will surely stay here.

When it comes to SEA Singapore is already maxed out and companies don’t want to move there because of the current situation as well. Capital cities of SEA countries such as Bangkok, Jakarta etc will benefit in the long run as countries stay in the development phase.
    Coolboy likes this.

A lot of them are here for the access to the CN market so where will they go if not Shanghai? Well they will surely stay here.

When it comes to SEA Singapore is already maxed out and companies don’t want to move there because of the current situation as well. Capital cities of SEA countries such as Bangkok, Jakarta etc will benefit in the long run as countries stay in the development phase.
    Most companies that are interested in the Chinese market already have an office there anyway, the majority of activities in HK are here for the free flow of finance, information, tax situation and rule of law. Again, none of which Shanghai or another mainland city could offer.
    Coolboy and MatthieuTofu like this.

China is not invincible and is experiencing pushback from many countries. I don't see why HK would be spared.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...03b_story.html

Only if HK's advantages remain. That is increasingly being questioned. The NSL in one swoop has rendered all the protections and freedoms offered by the Basic Law in doubt. And with rising US-China tension and HK caught in the middle, the city is not going to be left unscathed. Some business say US and the West won't dare to hurt their own commercial interest in the city to pushback against Beijing.

I am somewhat less sanguine about that outlook. If relations between Beijing and Washington continue to worsen, then all bets are off. Trump backed out of a plan to undermine the HK dollar peg, knowing that is going to be ineffective, but that doesn't mean there aren't other measures that can adversely target HK in the future, whether it is coming from Beijing or Washington. None of that is going to make businesses feel so safe in HK, because such future uncertainities undermine their confidence in the city.

After all, a year ago, nobody anticipated the NSL would arrive and be implemented so suddenly. Nobody saw the Covid pandemic exploding around the world. So how can we be so confident now that this is the worse it will get for HK?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 03-08-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Where have you heard about SG capturing more business from the situation in HK? This is certainly not something I have heard besides what the general population would assume.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/29/se...rime-minister/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/sing...hong-kong.html

Eventually HK's tier 1 city status will unquestionably diminish over the long run (benefitting Chinese cities + other SEA cities such as Bangkok, Jakarta, KL etc) but it will take time
    Hkemail888 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    For sure, but how does it affect you?

And trust me HK is a much safer and better place to be compared to many other developed countries. If you were in the US, they would be finding as many ways as possible to void your work visa or prevent you from coming even if you had your work petition approved (the US has one of the strictest immigration in the world today for work permits). Remember that dozen of thousands of immigrants have not been able to renew their visas.

singapore's regime now is worsen than hk, (better than china),
    a newspaper like apple daily would never establish in SG...
    people has no right to demostrate...
    so if anyone SG is freer than hk, that's a joke.

dossier, Morrison and Hk. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mayechka:
    singapore's regime now is worsen than hk, (better than china),
    a newspaper like apple daily would never establish in SG...
    people has no right to demostrate...
    so if anyone SG is freer than hk, that's a joke.
    but you do get free elections, which may or may not influence governance and responsiveness...

Some element of a mandate there, which helps quell tempers as well, at least in an Asian context.

Plus, what direction is HK moving in if you look at all the newsrooms?

Having said that, there are certainly arguments for more freedom of expression being desirable in Singapore too.
    Coolboy likes this.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast