40 20.73%
  • No plan at the moment

65 33.68%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

22 11.40%
Like Tree468Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22

What's worrying is not just the existence of the NSL. Some people said it's only there as a warning and to deter people. That might be true, but the police almost randomly posts search notices for American citizens living in the US for violating the NSL. What is the point of this except pissing off the US?
    Also, the recent rumors about a Corona/DNA screening of the entire HK population. I think especially many expats here would not be very pleased if this is happening. Same thing with the "mainland help", medics sent over and so on. The government has gone into overdrive. This has nothing to do with national security anymore. The only reason for politics to make all this noise now is either just to show their loyalty to Beijing or they actually believe that this kind of stuff works as propaganda to HK's society.

My hope for HK is: This political shitshow ends soon enough as the dust settles, and while the NSL is here to stay, public institutions and the society as a hole can then continue to exist at a much better functioning level than they do on the mainland. This means they talk of HK as part of China, but effectively internal governance is still at an acceptable level for international corporations and their employees. If they don't, and people in HK will be increasingly subject to random draconian measures, then I can only see international companies scale back a lot, which means it would be time for many of us to say goodbye.

TheRoadAhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by derecktan:
    What's the current situation in Singapore?
    Every week they boast about how many companies they are leaving HK to go to them and how much more money are making out of this, apparently :/
    Where have you heard about SG capturing more business from the situation in HK? This is certainly not something I have heard besides what the general population would assume.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/07/29/se...rime-minister/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/sing...hong-kong.html

Eventually HK's tier 1 city status will unquestionably diminish over the long run (benefitting Chinese cities + other SEA cities such as Bangkok, Jakarta, KL etc) but it will take time

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    What's worrying is not just the existence of the NSL. Some people said it's only there as a warning and to deter people. That might be true, but the police almost randomly posts search notices for American citizens living in the US for violating the NSL. What is the point of this except pissing off the US?
    Also, the recent rumors about a Corona/DNA screening of the entire HK population. I think especially many expats here would not be very pleased if this is happening. Same thing with the "mainland help", medics sent over and so on. The government has gone into overdrive. This has nothing to do with national security anymore. The only reason for politics to make all this noise now is either just to show their loyalty to Beijing or they actually believe that this kind of stuff works as propaganda to HK's society.

My hope for HK is: This political shitshow ends soon enough as the dust settles, and while the NSL is here to stay, public institutions and the society as a hole can then continue to exist at a much better functioning level than they do on the mainland. This means they talk of HK as part of China, but effectively internal governance is still at an acceptable level for international corporations and their employees. If they don't, and people in HK will be increasingly subject to random draconian measures, then I can only see international companies scale back a lot, which means it would be time for many of us to say goodbye.
    For sure, but how does it affect you?

And trust me HK is a much safer and better place to be compared to many other developed countries. If you were in the US, they would be finding as many ways as possible to void your work visa or prevent you from coming even if you had your work petition approved (the US has one of the strictest immigration in the world today for work permits). Remember that dozen of thousands of immigrants have not been able to renew their visas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    For sure, but how does it affect you?
    As you said, it will take time for HK's role to change. I see the point that we have to accept the political reality if we want to stay here. Also, we are guests, (at least I am, as I have not stayed for that long), so I can not want to change the course of what is happening here.

But, mandatory DNA tests for the entire population. Is that something you are willing to agree to? If the medical systems gets degraded to mainland level, is that what would make you feel safe if you have an emergency? Too poor to bribe the doctor, so you gotta wait till it's too late...
    China obviously lacks oversight (or the oversight is destroyed by corruption), otherwise things like this milk-powder scandal would not have happened. If not just medics come from China but customs officers, will potentially hazardous products get into HK as well?

I am not saying that this will definitely happen. But the medics "help" from the mainland, civil servant's are told not to voice any concerns anymore and so on are signs that do not sound too good for HK's future. It won't affect me now, but I am afraid it will start to affect people very soon.
    TheRoadAhead and jimbo_jones like this.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22