• No plan at the moment

73 33.80%
  • HK is my Home, will stay forever

27 12.50%
Like Tree539Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

So, can I turn this into an official report and get some headlines on Bloomberg?

58% of Expats Plan to Leave Hong Kong in the next 5 years

tf19, East_coast, bdw and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So, can I turn this into an official report and get some headlines on Bloomberg?

58% of Expats Plan to Leave Hong Kong in the next 5 years

What it needs though is a poll from a few years ago. Loads of expats are leaving HK - but then loads of expats have always done so. Wouldn't stop the media printing it of course with a headline such as "expats flee HK in droves, last one out turn off the lights"
    East_coast likes this.

100% of Expats are planning to leave HK at some point. Rest of us are called immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What it needs though is a poll from a few years ago. Loads of expats are leaving HK - but then loads of expats have always done so. Wouldn't stop the media printing it of course with a headline such as "expats flee HK in droves, last one out turn off the lights"
    It was all on the government websites. More French arriving in the last few years and I think I remember people staying for shorter periods. Fewer lifers. Should look again given housing costs keep going up. May put younger people off. My guess is the Government wants fewer expats.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It was all on the government websites. More French arriving in the last few years and I think I remember people staying for shorter periods. Fewer lifers. Should look again given housing costs keep going up. May put younger people off. My guess is the Government wants fewer expats.
    Want or Need? Big difference.

Want or Need? Big difference.
    Surely every global finance centre needs a lot of expats. Only if you wanted to become a regional or domestic centre would you need less expats. What does Beijing want HK to become?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Surely every global finance centre needs a lot of expats. Only if you wanted to become a regional or domestic centre would you need less expats. What does Beijing want HK to become?
    Gone are the days when these bankers would get on a motorbike and head to the jungles of Thailand to find the next emerging market (anyone remember the old Templeton commercials?). They've been replaced by satellite imagery....
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Gone are the days when these bankers would get on a motorbike and head to the jungles of Thailand to find the next emerging market (anyone remember the old Templeton commercials?). They've been replaced by satellite imagery....
    It is the synergies of clustering facilitated by appropriate laws and enabled by the rule of law that matters.

What does Beijing want HK to become?
    Compliant.

In terms of leaving or staying, I have just (successfully, unless something very bad happens in the next week or so) gone through a round of job-hunting, after a period of instability. My (local) partner wouldn't necessarily be implacably opposed to leaving, but she's taking care of her sick mother, and to be blunt she's not going anywhere while her mum is still around - and at this point I'm not planning to go anywhere without her, so that's me pretty much tied down.
    East_coast likes this.

I was hovering over 'HK is my Home, will stay forever', but instead chose 'No plan at the moment'. A few years ago, maybe I would have chosen the last option. Things are changing, generally for the worse, and I don't see things getting any better. But, I have no idea where to go.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast