Like Tree78Likes

Immigrating to the UK with my girlfriend

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

It might be worth asking yourself where you want to be in your life right now. One thing that stands out is you and your girlfriend both have the right to work and stay in Hong Kong - this makes it easier for you both as you don’t need to rush into marriage at your age. Life is actually full of ups and downs. Many circumstances change and so do people from their mid 20’s to mid 30’s. With uncertainty in immigration and the overall job market, jumping into another long term commitment, marriage, further restricts your options to adapt to changes as they emerge in the next couple of years or more.

If having a property is a condition to marry, you should think are about what this means. Do you need to burden your family for assistance? Do you need to burden yourself at your age with commitment? You are in a tough place and based on people my age and myself, it’s probably better you make the simplest decision right now for yourself. So many people hold deep resentment after giving in to unreasonable demands. If you feel you are not ready, don’t do it.

The right to reside in a country and property are the two biggest obstacles that most people face. And this is even a challenge for those a fair bit older than you.

markranson and Alzthehero like this.

maybe they will give Yingluck and her kids UK passports to add to her Montenegran diplomatic one

Original Post Deleted
    You do talk rubbish sometimes. You talk about south London as if it is the UK. I lived in the UK for two and a half years with my wife and kids and surprisingly enough we were never robbed, attacked with acid, faced with ANY aggression verbal or physical, racial or otherwise, just heaps of kindness. Clearly if you are involved in south London gang wars then life is dangerous but then try getting involved with the triads in HK or the gangs in LA.

There is an almost unthinkable alternative, a bit like cutting off ones head to cure a headache, but it could be a reality very soon. I think I'd do it but Labour took my vote away.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/pol...nt-theresa-may

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    There is an almost unthinkable alternative, a bit like cutting off ones head to cure a headache, but it could be a reality very soon. I think I'd do it but Labour took my vote away.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/pol...nt-theresa-may
    How sad that the supposedly democratic government pushed us to consider such extremes. I think we would all agree that there needs to be sensible immigration controls but the problem is that they're not sensible at the moment. Decent people with a legitimate right to expect to be able to settle in the UK with their foreign partners/spouses are suffering whilst people who genuinely hate UK society are being let in and given every assistance. That's not sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You do talk rubbish sometimes. You talk about south London as if it is the UK. I lived in the UK for two and a half years with my wife and kids and surprisingly enough we were never robbed, attacked with acid, faced with ANY aggression verbal or physical, racial or otherwise, just heaps of kindness. Clearly if you are involved in south London gang wars then life is dangerous but then try getting involved with the triads in HK or the gangs in LA.
    Where my relatives live down in Devon is much the same. Welcoming and mostly crime free. But very expensive to buy property, very expensive transport, not that many jobs.....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Where my relatives live down in Devon is much the same. Welcoming and mostly crime free. But very expensive to buy property, very expensive transport, not that many jobs.....
    Well Hull does have cheap property

Why limit your options to just HK and UK? China is an option, so are places like Canada, Singapore, etc. Canada is fairly open to skilled immigrants with a liberal society, though housing is expensive but one can choose to live further away from the city. Singapore is relatively easy to get employment visa but more difficult to get PR/citizenship. Housing is reasonably affordable - especially renting, or buying older properties.

MABinPengChau and Alzthehero like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well Hull does have cheap property
    Not sure which is better, Hull or Grimsby? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Not sure which is better, Hull or Grimsby? lol
    Definitely Hull, Grimsby is really grim.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast