Like Tree15Likes

Scenario: obtaining permanent residency but one year to go?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    4. Has anyone heard of negotiating with their work to split the their time in two locations, so that they are here in Hong Kong a certain amount of time over the next year, but still working abroad some of the time? .
    Yes, I know people who've done this, but always when the overseas employment was temporary, e.g. a secondment. They remain employed by their company here and then get posted overseas. Made sure they still spent a bit of time in HK, but it certainly wasn't half. However the key probably was that they were back here by the time they applied for PR, and so showed they'd taken HK as their permanent home with a temporary break in the middle for an overseas secondment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Is this true? I thought the 7 year clock was for the individual who just needed to have been living here legally for 7 years, regardless of the type of visa. I know people who've reached 7 years on a combination of dependent and work visas, whose original sponsor for the dependent visa didn't stay to get PR.
    If you stay on a dependant then yes as you are dependant on someone who is the primary visa holder/PR. There are always caveats and work arounds but the basis would be you are here with someone who you are dependant on. I've known people who've had to more than double their time here to get PR due to issues with the primary sponsor of dependant visa.

Oh right. Seems to be inconsistent then.

I know someone who did about 5 years on a dependent visa but got divorced near the end of that time. Then she did 2 years on a work visa. Got her PR straightaway after 7 years with no issues, even though the sponsor for the first 5 had long since left HK.

That situation isn't unheard of and changing visas wont affect anything, several couples have swapped around over the years with the dependant becoming the primary work visa holder and the other dependant. That however has nothing to do with the situation as alluded to above to which I replied that changing to a work visa would work.

But being dependant is based on the primary via holder / PR being resident as well, otherwise there is no need to be a dependant. As long as immigration believe the primary visa holder is resident here then all is fine.

shri likes this.

If it takes you across the 7 year mark then everything is fine. Most visas end just before PR so you need to get that last one to take you into PR territory, another discussion that was on here recently. And as mentioned there are always exceptions.

Update question...

I'm still a little confused: if someone is here on a work visa and that work contract ends, but the visa is still valid well past the 7 year PR mark, can that person remain unemployed in Hong Kong for, say, 6 months? Does anyone have experience with doing this? It may seem a bit odd come the PR interview when they ask why you're staying around in Hong Kong without a job -- perhaps you need to demonstrate you have a certain amount of savings to afford to live here unemployed?

Update question...

I'm still a little confused: if someone is here on a work visa and that work contract ends, but the visa is still valid well past the 7 year PR mark, can that person remain unemployed in Hong Kong for, say, 6 months? Does anyone have experience with doing this? It may seem a bit odd come the PR interview when they ask why you're staying around in Hong Kong without a job -- perhaps you need to demonstrate you have a certain amount of savings to afford to live here unemployed?
    Yes, plenty of people have done this.

can that person remain unemployed in Hong Kong for, say, 6 months?
    Yes. but should immediately apply for PR, because the rules may change tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    Yes. but should immediately apply for PR, because the rules may change tomorrow.
    Well I obviously can't immediately apply for PR before I reach the 7 year mark.
    @HK_Katherine do you know if in those situations they had to demonstrate they had a certain amount of funds to be able to support themselves unemployed?

Well I obviously can't immediately apply for PR before I reach the 7 year mark.
    @HK_Katherine do you know if in those situations they had to demonstrate they had a certain amount of funds to be able to support themselves unemployed?
    Your bank account only matters in cases of dependant visa.
    No one will ask you anything about employment either.

As long as you've been here 7 years, legally with a correct visa type - you'll get PR, no matter how much or little you have worked and no matter how much or little you have in the bank before or after 7 years.