Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By JAherbert
  • 4 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By madal1
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

Leaving HK Checklist?

Closed Thread

Leaving HK Checklist?

there is a possibility that we will have to move back to the US. just wondering if there is a standard checklist of things to do, in case that possibility becomes reality. a few things that I thought of so far. feel free to add more to it.

1. properly end contracts, rent, phone, internet etc.
    2. update address for all accounts.
    3. close bank accounts? (can we keep HK accounts open if no address locally?)
    4. take out MPF.

anything else that i am not aware of?

if you have an employer, the employer might require you to settle outstanding tax and obtain IRD latter, before releasing final pay cheque

Grumbler likes this.

Don't close bank accounts! You never know when you might need them- I kept mine and did not have a local HK address from 2012 to 2017, then moved back and, yay, they were ready for me. If you leave them open and find you don't want them, sure close them in a year or so but it's handy if there is some contract you need to pay off (the last 6 months of some phone contract if you don't want to pay all at once, for example).

Grumbler, shri, JAherbert and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Don't close bank accounts! You never know when you might need them- I kept mine and did not have a local HK address from 2012 to 2017, then moved back and, yay, they were ready for me. If you leave them open and find you don't want them, sure close them in a year or so but it's handy if there is some contract you need to pay off (the last 6 months of some phone contract if you don't want to pay all at once, for example).
    you can update address to foreign address? did you have any issues of withdrawing money from overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    you can update address to foreign address? did you have any issues of withdrawing money from overseas?
    - yes
    - no

(HK HSBC, using US address)
    shri likes this.

I have SC and updated to US address, no problem, only problem was if I wanted to do something that needed a texted PIN, couldn't get the PIN by text because I never updated to a US cell phone and then wasn't in HK to do the update and sign the forms. I think if you have all your info before you leave it's a bit easier to go in and do all the updates in person. I did some address updates from the US and was a bit involved as I recall...still, a lot easier to just maintain the account...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Don't close bank accounts!.
    second that. try to open a new account Hang Seng bank wants 2 hour interview

Bear in mind that some banks charge a maintenance fee to keep the account open with no salary going into it. I was quoted 100HKD per month at Citibank if my balance ever went below 10,000HKD, so I'm closing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by econo:
    I was quoted 100HKD per month at Citibank if my balance ever went below 10,000HKD, so I'm closing mine.
    HK$ 15 per month for HSBC, cheap cheap la
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    there is a possibility that we will have to move back to the US. just wondering if there is a standard checklist of things to do, in case that possibility becomes reality. a few things that I thought of so far. feel free to add more to it.

1. properly end contracts, rent, phone, internet etc.
    2. update address for all accounts.
    3. close bank accounts? (can we keep HK accounts open if no address locally?)
    4. take out MPF.

anything else that i am not aware of?
    You can have mail forwarding done by HK post to a friend. 500 something HKD every 6 months I believe.