Like Tree9Likes

Advice? Leaving an APT w/ fixtures / mounts in walls

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice? Leaving an APT w/ fixtures / mounts in walls

Any advice on:

1) leave fixtures (e.g. screw for wall mounts, etc.) in the apartment after leaving

-OR-

2) hiring a handyman to remove them all prior to leaving?

-OR-

3) Using your Relocation/Moving service & their handymen to take care of the fixtures?

My gut is that by using my own guy, I'd save money. But if it's negligible, I'd rather just let the relo/movers take all the screws/mounts out.

thanks

Movers won't be filling holes and painting walls.

JAherbert, jgl, imparanoic and 2 others like this.

Not about just removing screws and filling up holes.

Depending on the landlord and original condition you moved in, you want to make sure that the paint is also restored to original condition. Some build the repainting / touch up into the rent, some dont.

JAherbert and MandM! like this.

if you cant do it yourself then option 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not about just removing screws and filling up holes.

Depending on the landlord and original condition you moved in, you want to make sure that the paint is also restored to original condition. Some build the repainting / touch up into the rent, some dont.
    Is it possible the handyman I choose might - fill up the holes, clean walls, etc. - but the landlord would take issues with the material he used, etc.? Or I guess the question is not "Is it possible", but... is that *common*?

Like - "thanks for repairing what you did, but we don't approve of the exact filling you did, so we're going to charge you to do it with our own stuff."

Thanks all for the advice above.

It all depends on if your Landlord is a PRICK or REASONABLE person, only you know that, if they are reasonable and you have good relationship with them then you can call them up and ask them how they want the house put back.

If your LL is a right PRICK, no matter what you do they will say its NOT good and will quote you the cost using their own contractor and it will be deducted from your deposit.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by white ghost guy:
    Is it possible the handyman I choose might - fill up the holes, clean walls, etc. - but the landlord would take issues with the material he used, etc.? Or I guess the question is not "Is it possible", but... is that *common*?

Like - "thanks for repairing what you did, but we don't approve of the exact filling you did, so we're going to charge you to do it with our own stuff."

Thanks all for the advice above.
    Holes from screws are trivially easy to fix, you put a dab of gooey stuff in there, level it with a putty knife, and in about ten minutes(?) you put a bit of white paint over it.

Tubes of the repair mix are perhaps several tens of dollars at a hardware store.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1CVSGhxIlL.jpg
    JAherbert likes this.

I bought a small tin of that bog standard magnolia emulsion diluted with some water, painted over the marks and holes and after dry rubbed with a rough old cloth until the new paint wasn't noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    It all depends on if your Landlord is a PRICK or REASONABLE person, only you know that, if they are reasonable and you have good relationship with them then you can call them up and ask them how they want the house put back.

If your LL is a right PRICK, no matter what you do they will say its NOT good and will quote you the cost using their own contractor and it will be deducted from your deposit.
    Yes but it also depends where the fixtures are located. Just ask your landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by white ghost guy:
    -OR-

3) Using your Relocation/Moving service & their handymen to take care of the fixtures?

My gut is that by using my own guy, I'd save money. But if it's negligible, I'd rather just let the relo/movers take all the screws/mounts out.

thanks
    If they have someone would definitely get a quote. It's usually under $1K. You can also ask them to move electrical from the old to new.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast