Like Tree119Likes

Debt - Trouble in paradise

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Debt - Trouble in paradise

Abbreviating a long sorry story.
    My son and daughter-in-law with under 12 month old grandson moved to HK for his work.
    Due to some very poor lifestyle choices and if we are to accept his argument, poor treatment in his job, he was sacked.

further bad choices saw him rack up some debt, and then an emergency hospital stay for wife added to that debt. Daughter in law did not have a dependant visa.

Helper, who we hold in high regard, informed us she could no longer live in this environment. She was full time, day and night child caring. She said she cannot leave the baby in the care of his parents and would have to report the situation to the authorities.

My wife hightailed it to HK. The helper told my son and daughter in law that she couldn't stay any longer. Fortunately my daughter in law recognised that she and my son would not be able to care for our grandson without help and asked if she could return with my wife. She is now making positive steps to improve her situation while living with us.

Back in HK the debt collectors turned up. According to my son, via a verbal tirade text, they saw the boxes my wife had packed on his behalf but against his will and believing he planned to do a runner, produced a court order to seize his possessions and send them to auction. They also apparently have him under guard in his apartment.

So that is where things are at. I'd like to know what will likely happen next. My son will not communicate with us and although he does with his wife, he doesnt include any details. What a mess. Any insight would be appreciated.

the average person will either pay the debt or work out a payment plan with the debtors.

Whos' the debt with? Loan sharks?

Also why was there no dependent visa for the DIL?

They are adults, they can sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad:
    Abbreviating a long sorry story.
    My son and daughter-in-law with under 12 month old grandson moved to HK for his work.
    Due to some very poor lifestyle choices and if we are to accept his argument, poor treatment in his job, he was sacked.

further bad choices saw him rack up some debt, and then an emergency hospital stay for wife added to that debt. Daughter in law did not have a dependant visa.

Helper, who we hold in high regard, informed us she could no longer live in this environment. She was full time, day and night child caring. She said she cannot leave the baby in the care of his parents and would have to report the situation to the authorities.

My wife hightailed it to HK. The helper told my son and daughter in law that she couldn't stay any longer. Fortunately my daughter in law recognised that she and my son would not be able to care for our grandson without help and asked if she could return with my wife. She is now making positive steps to improve her situation while living with us.

Back in HK the debt collectors turned up. According to my son, via a verbal tirade text, they saw the boxes my wife had packed on his behalf but against his will and believing he planned to do a runner, produced a court order to seize his possessions and send them to auction. They also apparently have him under guard in his apartment.

So that is where things are at. I'd like to know what will likely happen next. My son will not communicate with us and although he does with his wife, he doesnt include any details. What a mess. Any insight would be appreciated.
    will you come to hong kong to help them out? and where are you based? how much debt are you talking about?

I don't understand why your son and daughter in law weren't doing childcare themselves? Your son isn't working, I guess your daughter in law was unwell for some period but this doesn't really make sense.

First thing:

They also apparently have him under guard in his apartment.
    This is illegal for sure.

I understand the stress you and your wife are going through.. but can you provide us with some info?

Have the police been informed that your son is being held / followed / threatened?

There are a number of rules which need to be followed for debt collection - licensed companies / banks will follow them to a certain degree, but they often do claim innocence by selling the debt to a collection agency and then washing their hands off. Again, there are some protections which are meant to prevent the situation your family is in.

Is the debt with a licensed bank or credit card or finance company or a loan shark?

Do the debt collectors have a court order of any sort? Has your son seen this order? Does he have a copy?

Are they open to negotiation / partial payments etc? At the end of the day, all this BS about court orders etc is leverage, as the debt collectors know that they're not going to recover any significant amount by selling used crap from some random person.

What they're interested in is payment for the debt.
    Edwardstorm and markranson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    the average person will either pay the debt or work out a payment plan with the debtors.
    No income and not much prospect and out of savings to live on. I’m not sure how he can enter a plan or what will happen when the lenders realise this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad:
    No income and not much prospect and out of savings to live on. I’m not sure how he can enter a plan or what will happen when the lenders realise this.
    Do you know the amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Whos' the debt with? Loan sharks?

Also why was there no dependent visa for the DIL?
    as far as we know, not loan sharks.
    No visa?? Good question. I think the answer is in the poor decision making while living in HK. Distraction and self delusion regarding outcomes of postponing such basic requirements.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast