Like Tree20Likes

UK driving licence expired, but need to drive in UK!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I got my licence in 1974 and it was held together with tape and lumps missing from it. Try showing that to foreign cops .
    Mine looks much the same!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Do people still know how to drive a car after 10 years of not driving one
    I drive a car every year for a day or two on holiday. Its surprising actually, comes back pretty much instantly. I guess if you drove every day for several hours (as I did, for perhaps 20 years) it does not take much to get it back.

I found it was just like riding a bicycle.

(So I was jumping the kerb, sailing through red lights, weaving through gaps, going down the wrong way on one way streets...)

10 years of just driving a car every few years on trips to the UK no problem, a few years driving an automatic here though and I find I'm no longer able to change gear properly.
    imparanoic and hullexile like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I bought a car with an automatic handbrake, for weeks I couldn't stop my arm going to pull the handbrake on even though there was nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I bought a car with an automatic handbrake, for weeks I couldn't stop my arm going to pull the handbrake on even though there was nothing there.
    I spend a few months driving on the left in France. And when I return to Hong Kong, then frequently turn on the wipers instead of the indicator, while putting my foot on the non-existent clutch. I find the actual process of driving on the opposite side of the road very natural though, so I guess that's good, never driven on the wrong side of the road.

if you get a manual, check you know how to select reverse ............or risk snooping around the service station car park looking for someone with that model car lol

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    You need a UK address for the UK licence to be valid. If you are non-resident then you can't get a valid driving licence.

This usually applies to most driving jurisdictions - you need to be locally resident for it to be valid. Many people might keep their licence from home and believe it is OK to use it, but often it isn't
    I still have an address in the UK. It is my house but rented out to tenants. I guess this is still OK? Well if it isn't who's to know! I have rented cars on a few occasions but used my UK license and address.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I still have an address in the UK. It is my house but rented out to tenants. I guess this is still OK? Well if it isn't who's to know! I have rented cars on a few occasions but used my UK license and address.
    It's illegal and if you rent a car your insurance is invalid. Just get a Hong Kong license. It's easy.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    It's illegal and if you rent a car your insurance is invalid. Just get a Hong Kong license. It's easy.
    And how would the insurance company know?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast