Like Tree31Likes

Finally leaving Hong Kong - MPF and Tax how long realistically?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theaardvark:
    Do you happen to know if I can do the Oath before my last day of work?
    Yes

Just reading this to get knowledgeable before as I prepare to leave in July.

Anyone on here have experience or know about Teachers leaving. Me and my wife's contracts end officially around August 14th but intend to leave around mid July so will still have 1.5 salary payments due.

Do schools pay teachers upfront? Can you settle tax, mpf before effectively your contract has finished?

On a slightly different note, how does settling Electric/water/internet work. How quickly can you HK after you vacate your flat, thinking about possible refunds on Electric/water.

Original Post Deleted
    yes, I emailed them a week or so ago. Got the automated response but nothing since.

Done the other stuff now And all paperwork is in order.

Do you know, if you are wanting to be taxed as a married couple, would we need to go in together?

No, not yet. I have all the paperwork from employers, summary of income from now til August 15 (end of contract) etc. So it seems to me a case of going in, get them to calculate, receive our refund (according to the ird calculator they will owe us $25000). Do I need to receive the tax return...I thought we could just do that when we go in.

Can anyone clarify, are all non HK passport holders issued an IR56G in case of redundancy (no work visa involved as permanent resident), or only if they state intention to permanently leave Hong Kong? Who decides which one to issue of IR56F OR IR56G?

Hi everyone, hopefully someone is still checking this post
    I'm leaving in a month and going through the process myself. I have a couple of questions:
    1) Does anyone know which floor to submit the IR56G form for tax clearance? Is it correct to assume they calculate the taxes on the spot and then you and and they give you the release form right away?
    2) For the Oath, I can't figure out how the website works. Do we need to book an appointment or just show up?

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Can anyone clarify, are all non HK passport holders issued an IR56G in case of redundancy (no work visa involved as permanent resident), or only if they state intention to permanently leave Hong Kong? Who decides which one to issue of IR56F OR IR56G?
    Just to answer this question in case anyone else is looking for the answer. HR knows which form to submit. In case of redundancy (and having PR) they submit the IR56F to the IRD and to you.

@Vix85 sorry I can’t help you as I don’t know. But I’m sure there are others who do know and will come here to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vix85:
    Hi everyone, hopefully someone is still checking this post
    I'm leaving in a month and going through the process myself. I have a couple of questions:
    1) Does anyone know which floor to submit the IR56G form for tax clearance? Is it correct to assume they calculate the taxes on the spot and then you and and they give you the release form right away?
    2) For the Oath, I can't figure out how the website works. Do we need to book an appointment or just show up?
    For the first question, go to the tax office with your IR56G form, and if you want the release letter back on same day then bring with you enough cash to settle your final tax bill. If you don't bring cash, you'll need to do bank transfer or other payment method, then you cannot get the letter same day and will need to go back again a few days later to get it.

If you bring cash and do it all in one day, you will need to go to 4 different floors. First go to main reception, tell them your leaving HK and want to settle your tax, they will check your form and then tell you where to go next. Go there and they will give you a 2021-2022 tax form that you will have to fill out on the spot, then you sit and wait while they calculate the final tax payable, then they send you to the post office on the ground floor to make the payment, then they send you to another floor where someone will print out the release letter for you. Allow half a day to get it all done. Then give release letter to your employeer so they can pay your final salary.

For the second question, no idea. I left HK and havent cashed out my MPF yet.
    shri likes this.

Thanks so much for the answer!
    Just a follow-up question: how would you do this Go there and they will give you a 2021-2022 tax form that you will have to fill out on the spot? Is it pre-filled? Otherwise I have no idea what to put in myself eheh

I have 5 different MPF plans from 5 different employers.

Is it easier to consolidate it first to simplify future cash out (if I leave)?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast