Like Tree31Likes

Finally leaving Hong Kong - MPF and Tax how long realistically?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    any link on those who left HK & are not coming back on how they proceed to get their MPF @HSBC?
    1. Fill in the INPO form with your details, sign it
    2. Fill in the statutory declaration form but dont sign, go to Home affairs dept near you to find Oaths office and sign infront of them.

photocopy your HK ID / foreign passport / letter of release from IRD

Staple it all together and go to a local HSBC branch and find the MPF box to drop the document in.

I just did mine yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mengfei likes this.

Partner has BN(O) plus foreign passport - withdrawing MPF

Hi Everyone - I haven't seen this answered here yet. My partner and I will be moving to the UK and will want to withdraw both our MPFs.

I'm British so no issues re proving permanently moving abroad. Partner has a BN(O) passport plus a foreign passport (for privacy reasons I don't want to say which Country, but let's just say Korean for example).

I don't know what the MPF withdrawal form looks like: but can my partner say they're permanently leaving HK by providing a copy of their Korean Passport, but in actual fact, will eventually be using the BN(O) Passport instead to enter and stay in the UK? I don't want to be 'defrauding' or misrepresenting to anyone.

The real question is can your partner prove UK visa (i.e. Dependent etc) on Korean passport? If not, how are you going to prove he/she is moving to UK, on what basis?

I think you will have a better shot declaring he/she is moving to Korea or whatever origin country that is, legally there is no way to prove or challenge your partner is not moving to origin country even though he/she is moving to UK with you, lets just say travelling to UK temporarily and eventually plan is to move to country of origin etc, you get my meaning..

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    The real question is can your partner prove UK visa (i.e. Dependent etc) on Korean passport? If not, how are you going to prove he/she is moving to UK, on what basis?

I think you will have a better shot declaring he/she is moving to Korea or whatever origin country that is, legally there is no way to prove or challenge your partner is not moving to origin country even though he/she is moving to UK with you, lets just say travelling to UK temporarily and eventually plan is to move to country of origin etc, you get my meaning..
    I guess that was part of my question - the declaration form requires you to say where you are moving to, not just that you have the right to live somewhere else? Seems like the former is none of the bank's business. If I / He / She has the ability to live elsewhere, and we want to move out of HK - why does the bank care about anything else? I can only understand it if the bank doesn't recognise the right to reside somewhere else (i.e. BN(O)) - but even then it's a bit sily.

why does the bank care about anything else?
    Forget about bank formalities, they are doing what is stipulated in MPFA guideline.. Your partner is moving to Korea, period..
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Javatar:
    I guess that was part of my question - the declaration form requires you to say where you are moving to, not just that you have the right to live somewhere else? Seems like the former is none of the bank's business. If I / He / She has the ability to live elsewhere, and we want to move out of HK - why does the bank care about anything else? I can only understand it if the bank doesn't recognise the right to reside somewhere else (i.e. BN(O)) - but even then it's a bit sily.
    If your partner has a Korean passport, they should just declare they are moving to Korea, even if they are really going to UK. This will just make things much easier. I made this mistake before, my Japanese wife and I moved to Australia, my wife got grilled needing to show proof she has the right to live permanently in Australia, which she did not have at the time and only got a 2 year temporary visa (which is normal in Aus if you apply for permanent visa they give you a 2 year one as a first step). The bastards at MPF company refused to release her MPF. Since her balance quite small I just said fuck it will deal with this later, now she has an Aussie permanent visa and will go back and do it when I get a chance.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Ah I see. Thanks to everyone.

I think I'm just concerned there is a declaration which can be used against us if other evidence quite clearly shows we're not intending to move to the country we stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Javatar:
    Ah I see. Thanks to everyone.

I think I'm just concerned there is a declaration which can be used against us if other evidence quite clearly shows we're not intending to move to the country we stated.
    As long as you are permanently leaving HK then where you go and plans can change so its all legal and no need to worry about it, the declaration from basically is to swear that you are leaving HK

FYI dont sign the declaration form, u must do it infront of the officer u need 1 declaration form for each mpf account.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7