Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By bravizzel
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Edward B

HKBN contract - leaving Hong Kong

Closed Thread

HKBN contract - leaving Hong Kong

Hi all, i'm leaving Hong Kong and have about 18 months on a HKBN contract remaining. HKBN have advised that if I provide them a job certification (e.g. that i'm leaving HK for employment purposes), that the contract can be terminated free of charge. Anyone have experience or a template that I can copy and provide to my employer?

(also not sure if this post should sit in the leaving HK section or in telecoms)

A simple letter "to whom it may concern" from employer stating you're being transferred or relocated to XX as of date YY?

How nice of HKBN

PKS_2000 likes this.

Thanks Shri - i figured that much - I should have been clearer in my original post also, how do I write it if i'm not being transferred, i'm leaving the company to the pastures of another company...

A letter from new employer stating "XXX will be joining YYY company and working out of the AAA office from a-b-c date"?

I do know one of the valid reasons for terminating a HKBN contract is "moving out of the service area" or moving to an area where they cannot provide you service. No clue if the fine print says *Only valid for HK addresses.

I might probably ask to speak the customer service person's manager and see if they can give you a more comprehensive answer. Their support staff is quite reasonable in my experience.

I'm in a similar situation, let us know how you get on with HKBN.

Just wanted to provide an update on this - HKBN have let me off the remaining 18 months of the contract after providing a job certification. This is the process I went through:

1. Called HKBN up advising that I would be leaving Hong Kong and wanting to terminate contract,
    2. They advised I could pay the liquidated damages (3k+), transfer the account to another, or provide proof that I was leaving Hong Kong to take up employment elsewhere
    3. I advised them that I would proceed with option 3. I contacted my future employer and asked them for a simple employment letter stating my start date, location and HKID number.
    4. Once letter received from future employer, I emailed it to HKBN.
    5. They responded about 5 hours later to say all fine, charges will be waived and some further detail about the final bill and where to return the equipment.

I'm very impressed by their customer service - very responsive, reasonable and clear on what needed to be done.

Edward B, shri and Sith like this.

Interesting. I am in a similar position but with Netvigator / HKT .. didn’t think this was possible, will do some digging too.

I cancelled mine from abroad, sent email with pdf attachment of document of final tax payment.

Did they accept that ?

ankur_hk likes this.