Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Praetorian

tax clearance

Closed Thread

tax clearance

i resigned from my current job and accepted another job overseas.

my ex-employer doesn't know that i will be leaving hk and i don't have any incentive to tell them.

how do i go about settling my taxes in this case? do i need to tell my ex-employer to file IR56G form? what if they ignore my request?

has anyone been in this type of situation before?

You don’t need to tell them you’re leaving to get tax clearance.

They should issue you with the employers return for cessation of employment return, the IR56F. You then request a tax return from the IRD and say you’re leaving Hong Kong indefinitely and want tax clearance, then you settle up the tax bill and you’re good to go.

https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/pdf/pam46e.pdf

Paxbritannia likes this.

You are suppose to tell your employer, then employer should issue you with form IR56G, then they should withhold your final salary until you get a release letter from the tax office.

Name:  IR56G.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  140.7 KB

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You are suppose to tell your employer, then employer should issue you with form IR56G, then they should withhold your final salary until you get a release letter from the tax office.

I don’t think there is a legal requirement for the employee to tell the employer he’s leaving Hong Kong.

If you know different, grateful to stand corrected.

Shouldn't it be that as long as you are not a local and on the GEP VISA, the company would withhold your last month pay unless you settle the tax bill with the IRD.