Leaving HK without canceling mobile postpaid contract

Leaving HK without canceling mobile postpaid contract

Hi all. I left HK in 2013 without canceling my mobile postpaid contract (I left in a haste so didn't have time to close it). I guess I had a few months left on the contract, so I would have probably owed around HKD 500 or so. Anyway, I didn't think much about this until recently when a friend told me that if you don't honor contracts, the operator would ask a collection agency to recover the money and if the agency cannot recover the money, they would blacklist you. (Also FYI, I had had a similar issue earlier when I broke my 3 Mobile contract and didn't pay around HKD 300 for a few months before I got a legal notice and then I paid up eventually).

Since then, I have been to HK numerous times over the years and have had no issue visiting as a tourist. My question is: if I ever move back to HK, would my past record regarding not honoring my contract be an issue? Also, is it possible that the HK govt might share this data with other countries? I hope to apply for a UK residency in the future and don't want a stupid mistake I made a long time ago affect my application.

Maybe I'm completely overthinking this, but would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvee24
    1. My question is: if I ever move back to HK, would my past record regarding not honoring my contract be an issue?

2. Also, is it possible that the HK govt might share this data with other countries? I hope to apply for a UK residency in the future and don't want a stupid mistake I made a long time ago affect my application.Thanks!
    Answer to your questions.

1. No issue, plenty of mobile phone service providers to choose from you can even get prepaid cards.
    2. No way will such a simple thing be shared and it doesnt even concern the HK Govt lol, you are really over thinking it. People have run away with out pay credit card bills or personal loans worth 100s of thousand and still its no concern of the HK Govt. UK Residency does not do back ground checks around the world.

Definitely makes me feel much better! Thanks for your response