Like Tree4Likes

Moving out of Hong Kong

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving out of Hong Kong

I am trying to go back to Hong Kong and pack my things and leave as soon as I can within the coming month. Since I know roughly that I will not be coming back to Hong Kong anytime soon or ever ( studying in a foreign institution ), I want to know as a normal graduate who used to work in Hong Kong, is it possible to withdraw my pension funds from Sun Life?

The amount I accumulated in the account does seem small enough for me to leave it idle given that I do not know when I will go back to HK once I move out. The sum is roughly around 40,000 HKD which is the result of accumulation of a certain portion of my salary when i was working in HK.

If i wish to permanently move out of Hong Kong is it possible to withdraw this amount. If so what kind of documentation do I need to do this? I would appreciate the feedback for anyone who has had a similar experience or know about this matter.

Thanks in advance !!

Just sorting mine now. You need to get a form MPF(S)-W(SD2) Statutory declaration form which you state you are leaving Hong Kong and never returning to work again. You take this to a local home affairs office and take an oath in front of officials and they then sign and stamp your form.

Form here http://www.mpfa.org.hk/eng/informati..._to_IV_4_e.pdf

After that you fill the form from your MPF provider to reclaim the MPF.

The idea is that if you are likely to return here to work in the future you should leave it here. Some people have apparently withdrawn it and then returned and re enrolled. I guess they wouldn’t stop you. No one really knows what the future holds.

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 26-05-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for the replies.

How long does it take for you to sign this and take out the sum? Also say you want to leave HK now and take this out but later like 10 years or even 5 years from now you wish to return, then what happens? Are there any consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyResort:
    Thanks for the replies.

How long does it take for you to sign this and take out the sum? Also say you want to leave HK now and take this out but later like 10 years or even 5 years from now you wish to return, then what happens? Are there any consequences?
    If I'm not mistaken and have read somewhere here, you will no longer be able to do another early withdrawal and will need to wait until the age of 65 to get you money
    bak875 likes this.

Thanks for the replies.

Perfectly doable, your current MPF act will become MPF personal act and when and if you return, new account will have to be opened with same or other provider depending on employer, which is similar to people having multiple accounts.. But once you are back, you can noy withdraw anything from old act unless you are leaving again or retire..

Do not close ur HK bank account.

My mpf was deposited into my account after I left. There also may be a refund from inland revenue that u may be entitled to + utility deposit refunds.

shri likes this.

So basically i can only withdraw early once?

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj:
    Perfectly doable, your current MPF act will become MPF personal act and when and if you return, new account will have to be opened with same or other provider depending on employer, which is similar to people having multiple accounts.. But once you are back, you can noy withdraw anything from old act unless you are leaving again or retire..
    So essentially you are saying that I can early withdraw once, and even if I return to HK it would not matter so long as I start another mpf contribution plan?

What happens if you choose to withdraw early but not leave HK just curious what will happen to these cases.

So essentially you are saying that I can early withdraw once, and even if I return to HK it would not matter so long as I start another mpf contribution plan?

What happens if you choose to withdraw early but not leave HK just curious what will happen to these cases.
    No what i am saying is you may choose not to withdraw now and when you come back you will have another MPF account (Withdraw or not withdraw, you will have another account, its just like another employment).. The difference is if you do not withdraw now, you will have a chance to withdraw first time when and if you leave second time..

This is outright fraud, what will happen is anybody's guess, you dont want to leave haunting ghost behind me..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast