Like Tree16Likes

Selling property while overseas

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Good questions.

A good friend would perhaps be a better choice. The agent can deal directly with them, and they can communicate with you via WhatsApp. When the price is agreed, the friend with POA complete the transaction with the lawyer.

However, would a POA with a friend have to be notarised in some way to make it a formal document?
    And, most importantly, the friend has to be someone you can trust, and who has the time to help you sell the property (it's a time consuming and stressful business).

So, on the other hand maybe better to have the lawyer who is acting on your behalf to sell you property to also act as a POA. Then the agent would be dealing directly with you (the seller) by WhatsApp, and once the price is agreed, you need to instruct the lawyer.

The item about the final money is important - but the lawyer could deposit the cheque for you.
    The flat also might need clearing before the final signing of the documents - the agent can help deal with this and get a company to remove all the furniture.

I'm sure it can all be done with $$, but I think I'll be selling up before I finally leave Hong Kong. Last month or so will be in a serviced apartment when it comes.

zzzzzz and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Good questions.

A good friend would perhaps be a better choice. The agent can deal directly with them, and they can communicate with you via WhatsApp. When the price is agreed, the friend with POA complete the transaction with the lawyer.

However, would a POA with a friend have to be notarised in some way to make it a formal document?
    And, most importantly, the friend has to be someone you can trust, and who has the time to help you sell the property (it's a time consuming and stressful business).

So, on the other hand maybe better to have the lawyer who is acting on your behalf to sell you property to also act as a POA. Then the agent would be dealing directly with you (the seller) by WhatsApp, and once the price is agreed, you need to instruct the lawyer.

The item about the final money is important - but the lawyer could deposit the cheque for you.
    The flat also might need clearing before the final signing of the documents - the agent can help deal with this and get a company to remove all the furniture.

I'm sure it can all be done with $$, but I think I'll be selling up before I finally leave Hong Kong. Last month or so will be in a serviced apartment when it comes.
    Yes. Having the PoA with the solicitor gives you more predictability when it comes to decision making, since in theory a friend could accidentally sign something you don't approve of. If you are going to do all the sales negotiation on WhatsApp, this would be the most straight forward. But friend would be cheaper for sure.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4