Like Tree389Likes

One year after leaving Hong Kong

Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    8,853

    Before long you'll be wearing red flannel and hunting your own food! :-)

    Titus likes this.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Yea the stuff I'm cutting myself are probably for next winter, I'm buying this year's firewood from some local suppliers. Even buying them I save more than my current propane furance that burns through about 2300 HKD of propane each month in the coldest months. And that wood heat really radiates warmth much better than forced air through a propane furance.
    How's the regulation in France do you need a permit for firewood in designated public forests or free for all?
    Time to get a

    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  274.9 KB

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    6,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Yea the stuff I'm cutting myself are probably for next winter, I'm buying this year's firewood from some local suppliers. Even buying them I save more than my current propane furance that burns through about 2300 HKD of propane each month in the coldest months. And that wood heat really radiates warmth much better than forced air through a propane furance.
    How's the regulation in France do you need a permit for firewood in designated public forests or free for all?
    We have our own small forest of oak, hazel & Douglas fir - more than enough to supply our big wood boiler for the rest of our days. No public forests around us, in Limousin forestry is one of the main industries, so privately owned.

    I usually like the oak seasoned for at least 2 years, fir and pine we leave for 3+ years. Ancient, tall chimneys and resin don't mix well.
    Titus likes this.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    83

    wow, i was part of that pre97 exodus and emigrated to BC (worked in China and now HK afterwards) - wonder if we ever crossed paths - maybe Chinatown restaurants before Richmond grew (parker place the original) or maybe Chinatown saturday morning mandarin lessons with other kids.

    I'm planning to move back to a place outside Van, never considered Clearwater though. Wow. I was considering even Vancouver Island. but definitely am planning for it in the next 4 years to be closer to my folks, old friends, and a nice place for my kid to grow up. Maybe someday, I'll look you up in Clearwater for a cup of tea ) grats on your move. I definitely miss the 4 seasons and the outdoors.

    Titus likes this.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by bobly:
    wow, i was part of that pre97 exodus and emigrated to BC (worked in China and now HK afterwards) - wonder if we ever crossed paths - maybe Chinatown restaurants before Richmond grew (parker place the original) or maybe Chinatown saturday morning mandarin lessons with other kids.

    I'm planning to move back to a place outside Van, never considered Clearwater though. Wow. I was considering even Vancouver Island. but definitely am planning for it in the next 4 years to be closer to my folks, old friends, and a nice place for my kid to grow up. Maybe someday, I'll look you up in Clearwater for a cup of tea ) grats on your move. I definitely miss the 4 seasons and the outdoors.
    LOL almost forgot about those Saturday Chinese lessons in China towns Chinese Cultural Center! Hmmmm mine was all Cantonese at that point in the 90s still.... actually one of the things I admit is lacking that I wanted for my sons is Chinese lessons. We speak it at home a much as possible but won't be the same as lessons..... one of the things that allowed me to pursue career and business

    I looked at Vancouver Island too but my parents are in Vancouver and the ferry waits/cancelations put me off (where as I can drive any time of day any time I want from Clearwater to Vancouver). Their temperature is definitely milder than inland BC.

    LOL reminds me of the time in university when I went on a road trip with my then girlfriend to Port Alice. It was winter and the motel just had us as guests and the lady there was from Hong Kong! She was so glad to see us and be able to speak Cantonese lol told us if we want a summer job next year to come back. I wonder what happened to her. There's so many Chinese people in BC who took that leap decades ago. I admire their determination and bravery to adventure into the unknown without fear. Its sad when I see HK youth now who are so full of fear. I noticed that when I went back in the mid 2000s when they would try to put fear in me about doing business in the mainland, etc everything including be fearful of old ladies who needs help but might scam you. My grandparents taught me to do no evil fear no evil and walk proud without fear in life. Nowadays some in HK calls that stupid, naive blah blah blah but I think their mentality is the one that is naive and childish and locked a generation into a cycle of living in fear to do anything with their life.
    shri, bobly and Viktri like this.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    There's so many Chinese people in BC who took that leap decades ago. I admire their determination and bravery to adventure into the unknown without fear. Its sad when I see HK youth now who are so full of fear.
    Wasn't the fear of the handover what drove those people to leap "fearlessly" to Canada? Seems to me that those people and today's youth are both fearful of the same thing.
    Titus likes this.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Wasn't the fear of the handover what drove those people to leap "fearlessly" to Canada? Seems to me that those people and today's youth are both fearful of the same thing.
    But seems they're just sticking around..... haven't seen any other HKers in Clearwater... maybe Richmond LOL

    LOL ok I see where this is gonna go.... I'm not commenting further on this LOL

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Wasn't the fear of the handover what drove those people to leap "fearlessly" to Canada? Seems to me that those people and today's youth are both fearful of the same thing.
    Unlike the rest of Canada, there is a fairly long history of Chinese immigrants in BC that far predates the wave of the 80s and 90s.

    Chinese immigration to BC goes back to the 18th century with many more coming later for the gold rush and they essentially built the railway. These early immigrants faced incredible challenges, racial discrimination. In order to curb them coming, Canada levied a $50 head tax in 1885, increased it to $100 then added a $500 landing fee and when that didn't work enacted an outright ban in 1923. There were also restrictions in the kind of employment they could do hence the chinese laundry stereotyped fame.

    Vancouver had the second largest Chinatown in the world behind San Francisco well before the immigration wave of the late 80s early 90s. One of the reason that half of HK immigration in those days went to Canada was because of the already strong ties and communities that were well established.
    bobly, Titus, shri and 1 others like this.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Unlike the rest of Canada, there is a fairly long history of Chinese immigrants in BC that far predates the wave of the 80s and 90s.

    Chinese immigration to BC goes back to the 18th century with many more coming later for the gold rush and they essentially built the railway. These early immigrants faced incredible challenges, racial discrimination. In order to curb them coming, Canada levied a $50 head tax in 1885, increased it to $100 then added a $500 landing fee and when that didn't work enacted an outright ban in 1923. There were also restrictions in the kind of employment they could do hence the chinese laundry stereotyped fame.

    Vancouver had the second largest Chinatown in the world behind San Francisco well before the immigration wave of the late 80s early 90s. One of the reason that half of HK immigration in those days went to Canada was because of the already strong ties and communities that were well established.
    The stereotypes of Chinese (a) launderer; (b) restauranteur; (c) opium trader were ironically as a result of Anglo (UK) policies (yes in those days, Canada is under the UK. Launderer and restauranteur because of the labour restrictions much like how European jewry were forced into banking, etc. because they also weren't allowed to take on "normal" jobs.

    As for opium, guess who brought it en masse to China making addicts of hundreds upon hundreds of millions of chinese? The British. Actions have reactions.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Nowadays some in HK calls that stupid, naive blah blah blah but I think their mentality is the one that is naive and childish and locked a generation into a cycle of living in fear to do anything with their life.
    HK was born of entrepreneurs, refugees and opportunists building a new nexus that thrived precisely because China closed its doors. The government today are of the bureaucrat class and mentality - they will not reinvent anything and cannot even if it came out of their ass. The new generation have to move on and embrace the future, one in which they are a part of China. Either you make yourself useful and needed or you're out of a job. HK is the coal miner of Pennsylvania - it needs to retool (the financial aspect of being a tax haven/money laundering center of course will remain lurking in the background) and it needs a vision that benefits all of HK society not just the plutocrats (when 4-5 families own 95% of GDP, yes i call that a plutocracy).
    tf19, Titus, shri and 1 others like this.

Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast