Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pauljoecoe

Exit plan

Exit plan

I'm planning on my departure of HK permanently. My situation is pretty straightforward:

- need 1 month's notice to landlord as well as employer
    - MPF - I plan to withdraw from my MPF account that has already gone personal (i.e. from previous employer). I was told that it would take approx. 30 days to process once I submit all necessary documents.

Any suggestion on how long it should be between my last working day and departure day?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmessi:
    I'm planning on my departure of HK permanently. My situation is pretty straightforward:

- need 1 month's notice to landlord as well as employer
    - MPF - I plan to withdraw from my MPF account that has already gone personal (i.e. from previous employer). I was told that it would take approx. 30 days to process once I submit all necessary documents.

Any suggestion on how long it should be between my last working day and departure day?
    You can settle tax, apply for mpf before you leave so no reason why you shouldn't leave a straight after you finish work. We left 5 days after leaving our flat but could have gone immediately.

Keep your bank account open and mpf will be paid into it. My MPF arrived a few days ago...took about a month in all.

In fact my wife is effectively still employed as her last pay day is August 15th. Her last 6 weeks are holiday.
    mmmessi likes this.

Until when is your visa valid?

If you visa expires on your last working day, then you have no choice but to leave. Else, it will be up to you or before your visa expires.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I was born in HK so I don't have visa issue in HK. Just wonder how much it takes to wrap up things in HK before I move to US.